StoreEver Tape Storage
1753887 Members
7383 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Has anyone had luck with a newer SAS controller with an Ultrium7 (LTO7) tape drive on a G5 Serve

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Frase
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone had luck with a newer SAS controller with an Ultrium7 (LTO7) tape drive on a G5 Server?

I know the following:

For G5

HP StorageWorks SAS Tape Drives, External
DAT 160 SAS
LTO-2 Ultrium 448 SAS
LTO-3 Ultrium 920 SAS
LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 SAS
LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 SAS

HP SC44Ge Host Bus Adapter
416096-B21

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/archives_North_America/12477_na_v2/12477_na.HTML

Has anyone tried or is using another SAS controller tin a DL G5 server? The SC44Ge is a little slow, I am hoping to get a higher speed from the drive.

2 REPLIES 2
Barry_Reider
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Has anyone had luck with a newer SAS controller with an Ultrium7 (LTO7) tape drive on a G5 Serve

@Greg Frase , The LTO7 tape drive should work with that controller, although as you are experiencing - it will be slow. The SC44Ge is an older 3G SAS HBA and the LTO-7 drive is capable of 6G SAS speeds. There are several newer 6G and 12G HBA's available - I'm not sure about the compatibility of the newer SAS HBAs with the G5 server, however.

You can find a list of the latest supported tape hardware at the following link: https://www.hpe.com/storage/StoreEverSupportMatrix 

There are also older versions of the matrix available at that link that may help with the older hardware (obsolete hardware is removed over time).

Hope this helps!

-Barry

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Greg Frase
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Barry!

I like to investigate rather than assume. I was not wondering if anyone out there would install a newer tape unit on an ancient platform. I'm going to stick with the SC44Ge and the LTO7.