StoreEver Tape Storage
1748265 Members
4075 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help at backing up - how view content of a tape

jess br├жndgaard

Help at backing up - how view content of a tape

Im quite new in using backup, so was hoping to get some advice here.

To explain my problem i will go through the backup process i use:

Using 3 tapes - and each tape will be used for backing up 1 week.

I have 3 different backup jobs running:

1 - backup friday (full backup, no verify, overwrite all data, restart file, force to append to end of media)

2 - backup saturday - wednesday (differential, no verify, append to all media, restart file, force to append to end of media)

3 - backup thursday (differential, no verify, append to all media, restart file, force to append to end of media)

After 3 weeks have passed and the backup have been going on without any complaints from the system, im trying to restore and old file.

But how to do this?
When i look under: "jobs and media" i have 3 media icons.(i guess one for each media)
I try opening them with "media content" and when i look under the files i get the same data under every single media.

An example from the media tape that should contain only data from before friday the 4 july.

Attributes:
Size: 20 MB
Created: 22-Feb-2008 01:00 AM
Modified: 08-Jul-2008 10:44 AM
Last Accessed: 08-Jul-2008 10:44 AM
Last Backup: 08-Jul-2008 11:00 PM

if the backup tape is from the 4 july i wonder why the infomation tells me the date 8 July (how is that possible)?

Its seems like im just viewing the content of the server. the path looks like network -> server -> D: -> directories

I thought it might be that the media files was scrambled because of not using the rotation that the program also offers - therefor i tried to delete the 3 icons (media - media2 - media3) and afterwards putting in a tape and import it (this brought up the icon media2) - but still looks like im not able to browse the content of the tape - and still only viewing new files.

Maybe im looking at a mixture of the backed up files and the serverfiles but isnt there some way to just put in a back up tape and view its content?

Jess

3 REPLIES 3
jess br├жndgaard

bump.
Abdul Ansari

Can you tell me how you solved this problem? even I can't view the media content in DP express
Olibe Babaco
Frequent Advisor

Sorry,

as far as I know this can't be viewed.

Waiing for the answer of the HP experts on that, hopefully they will correct me.