108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help on how to convert SAS Tape to SCSI TAPE

Frank John
Occasional Contributor

Help on how to convert SAS Tape to SCSI TAPE

Dear Guys

I has the problem which is giving me problems

How do i convert or downgrade an HP Storageworks LTO 3 Ultrium 920 SAS Internal tape (EH847A) to HP Storageworks LTO 3 Ultrium SCSI Internal tape drive . I have the scsi cable and rack mounts kits. Please advice how i can sort out this issue as i cannot not return the SAS TAPE the supplier

Frank
5 REPLIES 5
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

That is the basic LTO-3 drive brick with a SAS interface.

There isn't any way to convert that to be a pSCSI tape drive. The controller inside the drive is completely different from a drive with a pSCSI interface.

That isn't necessarily bad. Given the choice I would choose SAS over pSCSI.

What you can do is get a SAS HBA and cable for your server. http://www.hp.com/go/connect should point you in the right direction. For that drive I think you will probably want an SC44Ge controller and the quickspecs for the drive and go connect both will have information on what cables to use.

If you are using a Proliant G6/G7 you will want a P212/ZM controller or P212/256 controller. The P212/256 has a little better performance if you have a server that can provide data fast enough to show the difference.
Frank John
Occasional Contributor

Thank you guys , as i came to realize that we can`t downgrade the SAS (EH847A) to SCSI tape drive.

Please advice how easy it is to configure this HP Storageworks LTO 3 Ultrium 920 SAS Internal tape (EH847A) in SCO UNIX operating systems .The client has a HP Storageworks LTO 3 Ultrium SCSI Internal tape which is faulty and would like replace it without configuring the drivers or doing an changes in the ATM Application called Sparrow.Please advice if its possible to just plug in the SAS Tape and use the available SCSI device drivers or we need to download new drivers

Frank John
Frank John
Occasional Contributor

Thank you guys , as i came to realize that we cant downgrade the SAS (EH847A) to SCSI tape drive.

Please advice how easy it is to configure this HP Storageworks LTO 3 Ultrium 920 SAS Internal tape (EH847A) in SCO UNIX operating systems .The client has a HP Storageworks LTO 3 Ultrium SCSI Internal tape which is faulty and would like replace it without configuring the drivers or doing an changes in the ATM Application called Sparrow.Please advice if its possible to just plug in the SAS Tape and use the available SCSI device drivers or we need to download new drivers
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Frank,

Given that scenario I doubt you have much choice other than obtaining the correct SCSI drive.

Installing a SAS card will result in drivers being required on the OS, which I suspect won't exist for SCO Unix anyway...

Cheers,

Rob
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

There are SCO Unix drivers for most of the SAS controllers supported with tape but as a previous poster indicated using a SAS tape drive will require a new SAS controller, cable, and driver, so it isn't a "drop in" replacement.