1752565 Members
5236 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I encrypt the my backup data? HP StorageWorks 1/8

Stefan Gruber
Occasional Contributor

How can I encrypt the my backup data? HP StorageWorks 1/8

How can I encrypt the data? I want the data encrypted on the tape write. Is that possible?
I can't find a setting for the encrypting!

4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Gruber
Occasional Contributor

What I mean was,
Did the Hp Storage Work 1/8 support encrypting?
meloni
Honored Contributor

not sure about the product you are reffering to, but if it support LTO4, you may use the Ultrium capability, together with the encryption capability of your Software

Other products like MSL G3 can handle locally the Key for the encryption and not use the software for that

check your product capability here
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12630_div/12630_div.HTML
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Stefan Gruber
Occasional Contributor

Hallo i Have the HP 1/8 G2 Ultr 920 SAS Autoloader and the Software HP Data Protector Manager A6.0 with a local Lic Mode

1lic for "Cell Manager for Win"
1 lic for"direct attachet tape drive for Win"

We use the Taps LTO3 Ultrium RW

What or how can i decrypr my backup? is this possible with this Hard and Software?
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Data Protector 6.0 does support server-side data encryption with the BB618AA option (see the Data Protector QuickSpecs at hp.com/go/dataprotector for details and options).

MAKE SURE you read the 6.0 manual on how to create your first key, and the correct config file options for turning encryption on.

MAKE *REALLY* SURE that you back up Data Protector's key store through a process outside of your normal server backup -- i.e., 1) every time a new key is created, copy it to an encrypted file. 2) Copy that encrypted file to at least two targets: USB flash drive or archival-quality CD media. 3) Keep the password for the encryption keys well-documented and saved in a safe, secure place.

REMEMBER that data which is encrypted on the server (as it will be with non-LTO-4 tape drives) will no longer be compressible. Consider turning HW and SW compression OFF for jobs encrypted on the server.

REMEMBER that Server-side encryption is very processor-intensive. You may see your backup jobs slow down when you turn on software encryption.

LTO-4 tape drives perform encryption in the drive ASIC at wire speed after the data is compresseed, so there is no performance impact to the backup job or the server. LTO-4 drives in your 1/8 G2 library can also use the MSL Encryption Kit, which generates and securely stores up to 100 strong encryption keys -- without losing performance, server CPU, or compressibility.

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence