StoreEver Tape Storage
1751694 Members
5230 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I make LTO-3 drive work in MSL5060 Library?

SOLVED
Go to solution
michael kaishar
Advisor

How do I make LTO-3 drive work in MSL5060 Library?

Hi

I currently have a MSL5060 Library with LTO-1 drives. I also currently have a standalone external LTO-3 drive (ultrium 960).

Now is it possible for me to remove the LTO-1 drives from the MSL5060 library; then remove the casing. The idea here is to use the casing for the LTO-1 drive and then take the external LTO-3 drive and mount it using the LTO-1 casing in order to be able to slide it into the MSL5060 library.

I tried it but the MSL5060 library doesn't recognize the drive. The back of the chassis for the LTO-1 drive includes wiring for 9 pins but the LTO-3 drive has 10 pins. But only 5 wires are used at one time.

How would I make the external LTO-3 drive work in the MSL5060 Library?

Thanks in advance
Michael Kaishar
Addison Avenue Federal Credit Union
9 REPLIES 9
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

What you want to do is not possible.
The stand alone drive have a different FW than the one in the library.
The Library should be able to send command directly to the drive, and then special FW is need to support this communication.

You cannot flash the library FW on a stand alone drive because there are some mechanism that do not allow that.

michael kaishar
Advisor

Hi and Thanks for your response. But what is FW...Fast/Wide??

The connectors fit perfectly except for that ribbon where the back of the standalone LTO3 drive has 10 pins ... whereas the LTO1 drive has 9 pins...although only 4 or 5 wires are used.

Please explain about FW if you would please.

Thanks Again
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

FW i mean Firmware, the internal microcode
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.............!!!!!
Don't even think about it !!!!!!!!!!

There are significant mechanical and firmware differences between standalone and library drives - the mechanical requirements of a robot picker, and a human hand are different - so they change the electromechanical design, (springs/tensions/
dustflaps/timings, etc). The "personality" of the drive is different (as the L&TT firmware utility will tell you).

Also - the MSL5xxx chassis is not designed for ULTRA3 SCSI drives (like the LTO3) - thats why they changed to the MSL6xxx chassis. Don't mix & match.
michael kaishar
Advisor

In regards to LTO3 drives; there's an upgrade for MSL5000 Libraries where you can put LTO3 drives in them and then you upgrade firmware on the Library itself. It is documented in the specs of the MSL5000 Library on the HP website. So if I were to purchase LTO3 library tape drives they should work with MSL5000?

Thanks all for your responses
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Michael, if you buy the upgrade kit, this will work.
The LTO drive will have a new cannister anyway, that will bypass the hotplug scsi card, and will allow the scsi connection directly on the drive.
With this kit, you will enjoy the bigger capacity from the LTO3 technology, but you will not reach the available throughput due to slower components on the scsi chain
michael kaishar
Advisor

Hi

Do you have a part number for the upgrade kit? What should I be searching for? "upgrade kit" or "LTO1 upgrade kit" "cannister"

Thanks for your help
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Kit is AD612A

HP MSL6000 Ultrium 960 Drive
NOTE: For use in upgrading installed MSL5000 and MSL6000 Ultrium libraries. If
this is an upgrade and going into a FC configuration, please ensure an e1200-160 is
used with the Ultrium 960 tape drives. Please reference the Business Class Library
Upgrade Matrix for complete upgrade requirements at:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/tapecompatibility.htm

As you said it is in the quickspecs of the msl5000: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/division_07-2005/10809.html

Mike Cross
Advisor

one other key point here is that this would be a capacity upgrade only. Even though you bypass the IO board the Library still get locked down toi the 80MB/sec throughput.