StoreEver Tape Storage
1748185 Members
4658 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How does HP Tape Library MSL4048 handle one single backup that needs multiple tapes?

SOLVED
Go to solution
newa
Frequent Advisor

How does HP Tape Library MSL4048 handle one single backup that needs multiple tapes?

Hello,

If I use "tar" or "fbackup" to write about 4.5 TB date to this tape library loaded with 1.6TB tapes will the process handle (load/unload and report what exactly happens) multiple tapes automatically?
If yes, how can I check the status during and after the backup (logs on the server or the tape library?)
If not, how can I do it?

Thanks a lot in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: How does HP Tape Library MSL4048 handle one single backup that needs multiple tapes?

From the manual:

Sequential mode

Sequential mode is used when backup software is NOT robotics-aware or was designed for standalone drives only. In Sequential mode, the library automatically loads and unloads tapes from the drive. The operator determines a tape to load by loading the desired tape into the tape drive using the operator control panel.
When a tape is full or unloaded, the library automatically removes the tape from the drive, puts it in its original slot, then loads the next available higher numbered slot.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
newa
Frequent Advisor

Re: How does HP Tape Library MSL4048 handle one single backup that needs multiple tapes?

Thanks a lot, Torsten. You answered my question.