108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to clean drives in an EML

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Wyld
Frequent Advisor

How to clean drives in an EML

The clean light is flashing on one of the drives in our EML. Is there a way to initiate a clean job for a single drive? Can a cleaning tape be used in an EML?
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, sure you can use cleaning cartridges.

You insert the cartridge into the library and use your backup application to initiate the cleaning.

If you are using Data Protector there are two ways: (out of the DP 5.5 admin guide)

- Automatic drive cleaning managed by Data Protector
Data Protector provides automatic cleaning for most devices using cleaning tapes. For SCSI libraries and magazine devices, you can
define which slots contains cleaning tapes. A dirty drive sends the cleaning request, and Data Protector uses the cleaning tape to clean the drive.
This method prevents failed sessions due to dirty drives, provided that suitable media are available for backup.

- Manual cleaning
If automatic drive cleaning is not configured, you need to clean the dirty drive manually. If Data Protector detects a dirty drive, a cleaning request appears in the session monitor window. You then have to manually insert a cleaning tape into the drive.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Chris Wyld
Frequent Advisor

I'm assuming I'll need to affix some sort of bar code label to the cleaning tape so that the EML will recognize it. Does it matter what label I place on it? Are there "special" cleaning tape bar code labels?
Gilles Cadrin
Trusted Contributor

The labels need to start with the prefix CLN
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

See the attached whitepaper about bar code requirements. As already stated the cleaning cartridge lable must start witx CLN

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Chris Wyld
Frequent Advisor

All better now, thanks to all for the info.