StoreEver Tape Storage
1748053 Members
4922 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to prevent windows2003 from installing the system-supplied driver for Ultrium Tape Driver?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arthur Tang

How to prevent windows2003 from installing the system-supplied driver for Ultrium Tape Driver?

How to prevent windows2003 from installing the system-supplied driver for Ultrium Tape Driver?

I am trying to install ARCServe on my system, but I can't remove the system supplied driver of

Ultrium from windows 2003.

Each time I restart the system after i uninstalled the driver by Device Manager, Windows 2003 will

recognize the tape driver and install the driver automatically.

I have tried the measures below:
1.rename the fold
2.rename the system installation fold
3.delete the LTOTape.sys in use
4.rename the folder
But none of them works.

Anyone knows how to resolve the problem? Please help! Thank you very much!

Please send your reply to the following address: arthur_tang@hotmail.com
Thanks again!
7 REPLIES 7
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to prevent windows2003 from installing the system-supplied driver for Ultrium Tape Driver?

Have you tried just disabling the tape drive in device manager?
Several Backup SW use the own drive to access the tape devices directly, bypassing the Kernel, and do not use the NT driver that is not performant enought.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You should not have to worry about the driver if you disable the Removeable Storage Service. ARCserve should supply it's onw driver that you load after installign the program.

Did you disable Removable storage Service?

Did you do a search for ltotape.* on the system to see where else it might reside?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Arthur Tang

Thank you very much for your help, Manno and Steven!

I tried disable. The installation process finished successfully, and i can format the tape.

But when I want to backup, I was always prompted: "Can't position media."

Why?

Waiting for reply, Thank you!
Brian Bleijenberg
Frequent Advisor

Athur

1)Disable plug and play capabilities, or just
disable it.
2)Disable RSM

Greetz Brian
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Try this:
If during the test backup with the unique tape ID you get the error message "3855 Unable to position media. (MEDIA=media_name, EC=media_error_code) (Backup Failed!)", then right click the tape and click erase, then click quick erase plus, then click Ok. When the unique ID is gone and it shows "blank media", perform the backup again. The Backup should now complete successfully.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

And also have a look at this advisory, it is related to W2k, but can give some advise

http://www3.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?dt=3&source=EX030310_CW01.xml
Arthur Tang

Thank you very much for your kind help!

It works! It seem's that there is some SCSI driver problem with the tape recorder. I replaced the SCSI card, and it works fine now!

Thank you very much!