StoreEver Tape Storage
1752600 Members
4058 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hp Surestore dlt vs80

Ryan Pearson

Hp Surestore dlt vs80

We are using a Surestore dlt vs80 under Windows 2000, running Veritas Backup Exec and using Hp DLT 40-80GB IV Data Cartridges.

Drive has been working flawlessly for the past 12 months, but recently it refuses to restore any data, backups and write operations still perform ok.

Have tested the drive using Hp Tape Tools and performed a Write/Read test, Write phase passes, but the read test fails during the first stages, the following errors are displayed in the test log :

- Drive reported unrecovered I/O error condition, test phase cannot proceed

- I/0 Exception (Sense Key: 3, Sense Code: 0x1400 - 'Recorded Entity Not Found')

- SCSI Cmd I/0 at 0.1.0: Read

Any help would be much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Have you ever tried to restore? You know in addition to 'do backup' there's a required item like 'test your backup'.
Now please try with new (just unpacked) tape. If it will not work, I would check SCSI card you're using http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50063.html and if SCSI card and drive have latest drivers and firmware loaded.
I do not think cables or termination is a cause, but you may check them also. Then open case with HP
Eugeny
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Have you cleaned it several times and still this error? Not good. You can write but not read? I would have thought the backup log would have reported and error.

Is the media readable on another tape drive?

Have you tried new tape media?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Have you cleaned it several times and still this error? Not good. You can write but not read? I would have thought the backup log would have reported an error.

Is the media readable on another tape drive?

Have you tried new tape media?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Ryan Pearson

Yes we have tried cleaning the drive, and tried many different tapes, including brand new ones, we aren't able to try the media in another drive though as this is the only one we have.