StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I/O device errors

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I/O device errors

We have a Compaq DL380 server with FC HBA which connects to a TL895 six drive library / through a FC Tape Contoller /. We are using Veritas BackupExec 8.50 , and many times the backup jobs fail , and we get one of the following messages :

Storage device "COMPAQ 6" reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
OR
Storage device "COMPAQ 1" reported an error on a request to space to end of data. Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
/ in this case , every time the tape remains in the drive and I need manually remove it from the drive /.
4 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: I/O device errors

same exact problem, except, we're running Netbackup. I/O error, tape still in drive. Unit displays "Unloaded".
Hardware: TL891 + Expansion Library, connected to a DL380. W2KADV. NSSD 5.0
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: I/O device errors

I have the same issue. Similar config as well. I have 2 DL580's in a win2k cluster connected to a SAN switch 8-EL and the servers, storage and MDR all hang off this switch. A TL895 hangs off the MDR. I have one server that has been doing backups (Veritas 8.50) and is working okay. When I try to do a backup with the other server I get the exact same error and the job fails. Stops at different points in the backup. It doesn't seem to matter whether the other server is doing a backup or not. Have no clue yet as to what caused it. I do have the Shared storage option for BE installed BTW.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: I/O device errors

Have you tried Backup Exec 8.5 build 3572. Then there is a hotfix (hotfix 18). I have been having similar problems and also drive off line problems. I have installed this build and hotfix and so far looks OK. Also version 8.6 is out
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: I/O device errors

Since my last post I have talked with a compaq rep and has informed me that the 64bit/66MHZ Fibre HBA's I am using to run my RA4100 and TL895 is not supported even on the SAN Switch 8-EL. I have on order the correct equipment which is KGPSA's and put them in the servers and create two zones with the drives in one connected to the 64/66 HBA's and the KGPSA's on the TL895 zone in the san switch.This would kinda of explain the I/O device errors as the line is just ful and is what causes the errors. Much like putting a tape backup drive on the same bus as the system disk. Never a good idea. I have also upgraded to 8.5 3572 rc9 and all the hotfixes they have out. That took care of a couple of issues the 3572 introduced that I didn't have before. kinda weird to upgrade expecting to fix bugs and actually creating more. I'll have my new cards tomorrow and hope to get it all working and stable soon!