StoreEver Tape Storage
1753798 Members
7770 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IBM's ATDD device driver for LTO drives.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffrey Mulliken
Occasional Contributor

IBM's ATDD device driver for LTO drives.

Folks,

I am trying to get DP 5.1 installed and working on my rp2470. I have not seen a definitive post that says that I MUST use the IBM ATDD drivers, but I have seen some that suggest that to be the case.

When I use the stape drivers, I get some strange behavior. The tapes will label just fine, but when I kick off a backup, it runs for a bit, but then fails with an I/O error.

I want to use the ATDD drivers, and have downloaded every versio I can find on the IBM sites, 1.x.x.x the 3.x.x.x, and when I try to run the 'InstallAtdd' script, I get the following output:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Enter the filename of the ATDD installed (e.g, atdd.1.7.8.5 or atdd.1.7.8.5.bin) atdd.1.15.0.6.bin
IBM HP-UX Device Driver (ATDD) doesn't support the HP-UX 11.11 (64 bit) 9000/800/A500-6X System.

The ATDD device driver is supported for operation in the following HP-UX platform envirnments:
* HP Precision Bus - HP-UX 10.20 (32-bit) - Versions of this driver are identified by levels
ATDD 2.9.x.x. Only IBM TotalStorage Tape devices are supported.
* HP Precision Bus - HP-UX 11.00 (32-bit) - Versions of this driver are identified by levels
ATDD 4.9.x.x. Only IBM TotalStorage Tape devices are supported.
* HP PCI Bus - HP-UX 11.00 (64-bit) - Versions of this driver are identified by levels
ATDD 1.x.x.x for IBM TotalStorage and IBM LTO Tape devices. Only rp24xx
(formerly A class), rp54xx (formerly L class), rp74xx(formerly N class),
and rp84xx(formerly V class) servers are supported.
* HP PCI Bus - HP-UX 11i (64-bit) - Versions of this driver are identified by levels
ATDD 3.x.x.x for IBM TotalStorage and IBM LTO Tape devices. Only rp54xx
(formerly L class), rp74xx((formerly N class), rp84xx(formerly V-class)
and SuperDome servers are supported.

Do you install ATDD on your unsupported system at your own risk(y/n)?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I always answer 'no' to the final scary message.

So, my main question is this; Is there no version of ATDD drivers for my A500-6X system, running 11i? It seems unlikely, As there is another A-class server that has had them installed successfully. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff Mulliken
3 REPLIES 3
Scott McIntosh_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

It would appear IBM has already answered your question:

* HP PCI Bus - HP-UX 11i (64-bit) - Versions of this driver are identified by levels
ATDD 3.x.x.x for IBM TotalStorage and IBM LTO Tape devices. Only rp54xx
(formerly L class), rp74xx((formerly N class), rp84xx(formerly V-class)
and SuperDome servers are supported.

So no, IBM does not support atdd on the rp24xx systems running 11i. I cannot imagine why, but that's the statement.

We (Data Protector) do not support using IBM Ultrium tape drives with stape. You will have to use atdd. So I suggest you simply proceed with the installation, or hit up IBM about why atdd doesn't support 11i on rp24xx.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Jeffrey Mulliken
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Scott,...

I appreciate the response. I went ahead and did the install of the 3.x.x.x drivers, and the install completed successfully. I am not, however, having any better results getting DP 5.1 to work any better with the atdd drivers.

I can label tapes without problem, but when I try to do a backup, a little bit of data goes to tape, and then the MM task takes an I/O error. So, new question:

Has anybody got an A500-6X model HP-9000 working with DP 5.1 and an LTO tape library?

Thanks,
Scott McIntosh_2
Honored Contributor

I would definitely make sure your Media Agent is patched up to date. Some issues with IBM Ultrium drives in the unpatched binaries. /opt/omni/lbin/bma -version and look at the internal build.

Otherwise, all I can advise is run the backup in debug mode and post the BMA debug file from /tmp on the tape drive host.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support