1748272 Members
4275 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ideal HP9000 Server for an LTO Library with 8xLTO3 Drives

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Ideal HP9000 Server for an LTO Library with 8xLTO3 Drives

Currentlly an N-Class serves up 16 SDLT-II drives with no problems. We're planning to upgrade to 8xLTO3 Fibre Attached Drives. At 80+MB /sec - I reckon the 8 LTO drives streaming all at once sucking data from the attached SAN/LAN may possibly swamp the I/O bus.

Any suggestions on a suitable server? I am thinking a rp7410 or rp4440. Anyone ever deployed an LTO-3 Library?
Hakuna Matata.
2 REPLIES 2
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Ideal HP9000 Server for an LTO Library with 8xLTO3 Drives

Hi,

Which backup software are you using ?

I don't assume you are going to run all drives (media agents if DP) on one server. In a SAN enviroment, the backup clients normally writes direct to the library and only metadata is written to the backup server.

Only media agents running un the backup server will cause a significant load on that machine. If no or only a few media agents is running there (1, 2 or perhaps 3), this server don't need to be of very high performance. I belive a rp3440 would be enough, at least if using Data Protector.

Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Ideal HP9000 Server for an LTO Library with 8xLTO3 Drives

What library will you be using? How much NSR's can you put in the library.

I would choose one NSR for each two LTO3 drives (if possible). And one FC HBA for each NSR, so 4 FC HBA in the rp server. ANd linimum 2 SAN switches.

This would be an ideal setup to spread the load towards the library as much as possible.

I agree with Leif that an rp4440 server will be enough, the bottleneck probably will be in the fibre architecture towards the library.

best regards,
Kurt