108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite - SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stijn V
Regular Advisor

Ignite - SAN

We do have one Data Protector Cell Manager server (HPUX) that is connectected to an MSL6000 Tape Library.

When a Windows backup is running (via the normal network to the DP Cell manager and then via SAN to tape) it is interrupted when an Ignite is starting on another HPUX server (which has access to the same tape library for regular backups). This ignite is not going to tape, but to disk of another HPUX server.

However, it seems that whe an Ignite is launched, it does some kind of Hardware scan, which interupts the backup that is running to the tape library.

I rescheduled the Ignites creation, so that there is no overlap anymore with the normal backups... However, I would like to know if this is normal Ignite behavior. (I opened a HW call for this at HP, but I have to log a new call because it is SW related... This way is probably faster ;)

thanks for your help
4 REPLIES 4
Mario_66
Valued Contributor

Hi,

how is zoning look like? RSM on Windows is disabled? How many drives are in library?

BR,
Mario.
Stijn V
Regular Advisor

Thanks.

Both Unix servers are able to see the SAN tape drives (I guess all in the same zone). Ignite on one server (not using the tape drive for the backup), interupts a windows backup running through the DP unix server to SAN tape drive.

there are 2 drives in the library...
whiz_kid
Regular Advisor
Solution

this is xpected. your supposed to keep the system as silent as possible when an ignite in progress due to the reason that ignite will freeze access to all devices attached.
Stijn V
Regular Advisor

Ok thanks.

So it is normal that creating an Ignite on System A (to disk!!), can influence the SAN tape used by system B (because they both have access to the same drive)?

This means that you can't create ignite images of servers that are connected to the same SAN tape drive (if you want to use this device for other backups at that time)?