7267 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install external tape drive on DL380 G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
chris r._1

Install external tape drive on DL380 G4

I am all new to this stuff.Just got this new server from HP.It acts as a DHCP on my network and when I'm trying to attach the tape drive I get the PXE-E51 error message(no dhcp or proxy dhcp offers were received) , the server keeps rebooting until I disconnect the SCSI cable from the back.
Please help.
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Chris:

Are you attaching the Tape Drive to the onboard connector? that goes to the internal 6i Smart Array Controller? If so, is your server configured for SCSI duplex mode?

Either way, if you are trying to use the onboard SA-6i, you really should not. The performance is just..... well.... i'd rather not say here.

Pick yourself up a new SCSI hba for the best performance.

As for the pxe error, I can potentially see the tape drive causing a conflict on the SA-61 scsi bus which makes the system think there is no logical drives to boot from, thus... jumping to the next step in the boot process, a Network PXE Boot. I have never seen it before, but it sounds like the problem.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
chris r._1

Thanks Steven,
I have already ordered a hba from HP so I hope everything will be OK.
...It's all weird since I am already using an external drive with an older DL (smart array 5) and it works OK.
But again , my skills when it comes to configuring this arrays are not the greatest......