1748167 Members
4073 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Instant recovery vs ZDB

Gene Kenny
Regular Advisor

Instant recovery vs ZDB

Could I get a description of Instant recovery vs ZDB? Plus do you install both ZDE and Instant recovery on a EVA appliance or on the cell mgr?

Thanks,
Gene
2 REPLIES 2
Curtis Wheatley_2
Occasional Advisor

Re: Instant recovery vs ZDB

ZDB gives you the ability to backup an online database without taking the instance down. Snapshot technology and Oracle functions are used to accomplish this work. The agaents for ZDB are installed on the cell mgr and would be pushed to any host with the Oracle db on it. I'm not sure what your referring to with instance recovery, I havn't used that functionality.

Regards,
Curtis
Skilled workers are always in need
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Instant recovery vs ZDB

Instant Recovery (IR), if I understood that correctly, is based on ZDB (Zero Downtime Backup), but offers additional features. It makes sure that there is always one complete copy of the data available in the storage array that allows an immediate switch should the original fail. On the EVA it uses SnapClones to enable IR, because the EVA cannot do a snap-back of a snapshot to the parent. As I wrote 'always one complete copy' - this means that an old copy is kept while the current copy is in progress. That way, if the current copy fails, it can still fall-back to the old one.

It is a 'battle of material', because you need to provide 3-time the disk space:
- the original data
- the first copy, that must be kept until the next copy is complete
- the next copy