108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insufficient termination detected on the SE connectors

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1264130

Insufficient termination detected on the SE connectors

Hello,

I have an Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card on a HP Proliant ML 350 G3.

I installed an HP Surestore DAT40i with the HP SCSI cable that came with it. The tape drive is only device connected to the SCSI Card.

During POST, I receive the following error from Adaptec: Insufficient termination detected on the SE connectors. Slot 03.

We changed the LUN support to NO, and tried it with the default jumpers of 3, and then also 0.

In the Adaptec utility, when trying to scan the IDs, it gets stuck at ID 0.

I spoke to HP Tech Support and they concluded that either the tape drive and/or the HP SCSI cable is bad. I did not have an extra SCSI cable with me to test if the cable was actually defective.

HP Case# Personal Info Erased

I would like a second opinion on this error to see if the tape drive/cable are actually defective because these were both BRAND NEW prior to this installation.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
meloni
Honored Contributor

I can suggest some tips:
be sure to have connected the DA40 to the lvd connector and not to the SE connector,
be sure to have a LVD terminator (usualy build in in the cable)
try to connect a cable with a se terminator on the SE connector and see if the error disapear
try to disconnect all cable and chek if error disapear
try a reset to default value of your HBA
(Ctrl-A) and you enter in the HBA menu, then you can brouse and see for the "reset default", save and reboot.

for reference: http://tinyurl.com/5ne76

PS: Have replaced the long URL posted with the Tiny URL to retain the thread width - Forum Moderator.
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA1256087
Advisor
Solution

Hi Ray,

I posted here 2 or 3 weeks back with a similar problem, though with a ML350-G4 which may have an even more pedantic interface.

Seems that we need to get a braided cable (not a completely flat one), and should see U320 support nominated on the terminator.

I have seen an ideal HP cable: braided, for 4 devices, terminated, marked "U320 ULV 367168-001 = 148785-011" Not sure what the retail part number is (these look like spare part numbers).

Perhaps someone else can help by posting the part number to order through the normal channels? And perhaps there is a cheaper version that supports just one device?

NB: HP advocate using these "cables" (!!), but I do not know if they conform to my specification above?? Anyone able to clarify that??
Cable 273463-B21 (2 drops) us$35
Cable 166389-B21 (4 drops) us$50

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.
CA1264130

Hi Jim,

Appreciate the posting. We originally ordered this cable that you mentioned: 273463-B21. But, when we saw that the tape backup came with a cable, we figured to use that one and ended up RMA'ing the other cable.

Do you think that Cable 273463-B21 (2 drops) $35 will work?

Thanks,

Ray
CA1264130

Ok here's an update, I just spoke with HP Support at Tech Data and they confirmed that the cable 273463-B21 is the correct one to use on the server.

Hope it works this time!
CA1256087
Advisor

Hi Ray,

When you get the cable would you be so kind as to post the specs here to jelp close this thread? EG:

Is it braided (ie have lots of twists in the wiring - not have every wire parallel in the familiar 'flat' format)?
Is it for 1 or 2 drives?
Is it terminated?
Is the termination marked "U320"?
Is the termination marked "ULV"?

And of course, does it work!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly
CA1264130

Hey Jim,

I just tested our backup and it works great with the new cable (273463-B21)!

If I remember correctly, I think there was 1 twist in it.

The cable looked like it a total of around 6 connectors.

There is a terminator on the cable and I terminated it on the tape drive side.

Not sure if it said ULV or U320.

Just glad it finally worked!
CA1256087
Advisor

Glad it worked Ray, however when I ordered one (the Hp advocated Cable 273463-B21 (2 devices) it is NOT braided and has no mention of Ultra nor LVD - only "replace with spare: 163353-001" and "HP 0O04B2 Invertec : 6017A0000101 Rev Ao1 VDR:Genic Date: 3004".

I have seen two ideal HP cables:
Braided, for 4 devices, terminated, marked "U320 ULV 367168-001 = 148785-011" Not sure what the retail part number is (these look like spare part numbers)

And, as shipped in the box with a new hp DAT-72 drive: marked: 148785-008 Rev-J 10169732. For 2 devices (rolled into a tube - makes it a bit too stiff).

So, AFAICT, we do not have a retail HP part number available to order a SCSI cable known to be braided with an LVD terminator, ready for Ultra320 (etc). Is anyone able to offer us one for certain???