5868 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is 460i superior to 448?

Kris Sak
Occasional Contributor

Is 460i superior to 448?

Hi,

I'm going to buy one of them, and wonder if one is better than the other. I know 448 is half height, and 460i is full. Is true that 460i is better from mechanical point of view?
I've noticed some complaints about tape stuck in 215 models, which I assume is the same as 448 (just double capacity). Less complaints about 460. Maybe the bigger one is better?
Any experience?

Thanx,
Kris.
4 REPLIES 4
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Is 460i superior to 448?

Kris, the 460 is faster, that's about it. The reason you see more stuck tapes with the 215 is because they are cheaper so we sell more of them. I have been supporting these since their introduction and can tell you that the biggest reason for stuck tape is the end user. Rarely does the drive cause the problem. If the tapes are handled with care, inspected before use, and stored properly 90% of the problems would go away.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Kris Sak
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanx for quick answer. One more question...

I've checked the prices on HP's online store. I see that 448 is $1,799 and 460i is $2,999. I see that 448 is only 20% slower than the much more expensive unit. Maybe you don't work in HP's marketing department, but what is the benefit of paying extra $1,200 and having almost the same drive?

Thanx again,
Kris.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

you're right;I don't work in marketing.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I don't work in marketing either but I can say that there are more differences between the 460 and 448 than just the speed.

The full height drives have different load mechanisms with full sensors at each load point and overall heavier duty assembly. The sensors give more feedback of the load process and thus more control. In environments with lots of load/unload cycles like tape libraries the full height drives will last longer.

If you are using a standalone drive and change a tape once a day or less I doubt the load reliability will make much difference.

The 448 also draws about the same power as the 460 and is in a smaller package so cooling is more difficult but usually not a problem. Since the drive does run hotter there is probably some slight reduction in the component life although with tape drives the electronic components typically outlast the mech.

Although there are some loader mechanism differences, I agree with Lewis that the majority of the stuck tape complaints are due to user error and I don't see a lot of difference with the half height as compared to the full height. I think the loader mechanism differences will have most of their impact on the load and very little difference on unload. Many of the unload problems are due to software having locked the drive and another large percentage is due to damaged leader pins not releasing properly. Neither have anything to do with the actual drive loader mechanism.

I've only see an unload difference on drives that are full (and I mean full) of dust. I saw an autoloader that had been sitting on the floor of a warehouse and it was packed with fine dust and the drive loader finally jammed.