5840 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Jetstore 6000 (C1528A)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nawfal Rassam

Jetstore 6000 (C1528A)

I'm having problems configuring a jetstore 6000 on an NT4.0 Server. The P/N on the drive is C1528A and NT server is detecting it as C1533A and when I downloaded the C1533A driver from HP's website and installed it, I couldn't get to start with NT and when I start the NT backup utility it doesn't recognize tapes in the drive.
There is a little information about jetstore 6000 drives. Can any body help.
3 REPLIES 3
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Jetstore 6000 (C1528A)

Dear Nawfal,

The SCSI id string for DDS-2 tape drives is C1533A. As there are often several products containing the same drive the SCSI is string is never the same as the product number (C1528A). The DDS driver for NT4.0 should be fine. I would watch for the BIOS messages when you boot up your system and the HBA should show the SCSI peripherals.
If the drive is working and NTBackup (or your backup application) is aware of the drive then you may actually have a problem with the drive itself. Make sure that the mechanism is not full of dust as the sensors can be blocked. Clean the drive 3 times with a good cleaning tape. You can download HP Library & TapeTools from the web and run some basic tests on the drive. If all fail then you may have defective hardware.

Rothery
Nawfal Rassam

Hi Rothery:

I already used the NT driver last night and started fine and also downloaded the HP diagnostic software and most tests passed except writting to tapes. I'll try cleaning the drive and see if that fixes the problem.

I appreciate your helpful reply and thank you very much.
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Dear Nawfal,

If your tape drive fails on write it is probably due to hardware failure. Usually it is a symptom of head wear. The read and write heads are in contact with the tape surface and actually wear down over time. If the write gap is below a certain depth then the write current causes magnetic saturation on the tape and subsequently the data cannot be read back by the read head. Its probably not worth exchanging the DDS-2 drive. Upgrade to a DDS-4. Head wear is also related to tape usage. The best plan is always to use the same tape length. Eg Use DDS-3 tapes from one vendor (HP) in a DDS-3 drive. Reading or writing other formats occaisionaly is not a problem. repeated swapping of tape length however accelerated head wear.

Rothery