StoreEver Tape Storage
1752786 Members
5843 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Just got a SureStore DAT 24x6 where should I start?

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1073163

Just got a SureStore DAT 24x6 where should I start?

Just received a 2nd hand SureStore DAT 24x6, unfortunately without the install/software CD. I have downloaded and installed the available software from the HP site on a win2000 and the drive appears to work OK. Now this is where the feeling that I've jumped in at the deep end. I know I need to make regular backups of files on a number of networked machines. But what software should I use? Also is there a resource that can enlighten me on backup procedures that is all a bit fuzzy too. Any help you be appreciated

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Mohammed Ali_2
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Just got a SureStore DAT 24x6 where should I start?

Hi James,

There are several backup software companies that you can use i.e. tapeware, veritas etc. You may download a 30-day free trial version from this link:

http://www.tapeware.com/
Free 30-day TapeWare Backup Evaluation
Put TapeWare 7 to the test with a free, fully licensed product for 30 days.

Hope this helps and answers your questions. If you need additional, feel free to post your question and some one will get back to you.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Mohammed
CA713937
Honored Contributor

If you're on a limited budget (e.g. zero), you might want to give the windows 2000 native backup a drive. It's pretty simple to use. After that, you can try the trial versions of other apps to see if you really need their power.

> Also is there a resource that can enlighten me on backup procedures that is all a bit fuzzy too. Any help you be appreciated.

Most of users manuals for backup applications give strategies on how to do backups effectively. Take a look there.
The journey IS the reward.
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, another bit of advice that I could offer. As a long time field engineer getting calls for tapes stuck in these autoloaders, please don't put sticky labels on the top of the tapes as they get stuck inside the mechanism and cause the tapes and cartridges not to be ejected.
There,, that's my little input,
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
CA713937
Honored Contributor

I second the advice on labels - don't use them.

Also, since this is a DDS autoloader, make sure you clean the drive regularly. Make one of the tapes in the magazine a cleaning tape, and clean it once a week (assuming you are doing near a full tape backup once a day).

A cleaning tape is good for 50 uses.
The journey IS the reward.
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

You may also want to go into your SCSI BIOS and confirm that some configuration steps have been completed.

For the SCSI ID that the unit is on:
(1) Ensure that LUN support is enabled
(2) Disabled Wide Negotiation
**Also If it is on a 29160 series - you may want to disable Domain Validation (Advanced SCSI Configuration options

Cheers
Bob

BR664511
Advisor

Regarding why backup? you might like to look at:
http://www.taobackup.com/sanctuary.html

Cheers,
Barry