4860 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L&TT does not find the HP_Ultrium-2 tap

Gutschig
Occasional Advisor

L&TT does not find the HP_Ultrium-2 tap

Windows small business server 2003 with SP2

L&TT does not find my Ultrium 460 externel drive. The error: "Scan completed with errors", the tape is in the device manager without any problems. The scsi adapter is a LSI Ultra 320 with LSI driver and it works also.

What can be wrong?
Best regards Georg
7 REPLIES 7
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

What backup software are you using?

Is the drive being detected at all when you reboot the server? It should show when it loads the controller card.

Also make sure you disable the Removable Storage Service if it's other than NT native backup software, if it's disabled, please enable, then start/stop it again, and if you want disable it again.

What version of LTT are you using by the way? Try the latest version, 4.2SR1a

The LTT is not listing the controller card as well, I only see a Nvidia RAID controller.

Gutschig
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your answer.

I have tested the L&TT without any backup software.

The drive is connected, i see it in the device manager.

Removable Storage Service is disabled.

Version is 4.2SR1a.

You are right, but the LSI Adapter works also. Because the ultrium is connected to the LSI Adapter.

Any idea what there is wrong?
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

What SCSI id does the drive has?
What about when you reboot the server? Is it recognizing properly the drive when loading the LSI controller card? is the drive listed?

Well, just make sure, if you are to try NT backup, you must enable RSM, ONLY then.

You might as well delete the drive from the device manager and reinstall the drivers,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=co-41793-1тМй=en&cc=us&mode=3&

by the way, what type of server are we talking about here? Is this a dual channel U320? Do you have any other device attached to the controller?
Gutschig
Occasional Advisor

Id is number 3.
The drive and the scsi adapter are listed in the device manager.

What means RSM?

I have reinstalled the drivers.

The server is an normal PC, it is a single U320 adapter, no other devices connected to scsi.
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Hum RSM, is the Removable Storage Service, and you are performing the scan in Hardware Scan/NT miniport right? Don't use ASPI.

Oh by the way, you do have the SCSI cable connected in the bottom port of the drive? or in the top one? Make sure it's in the bottom port, because that's the one that got active termination.

Gutschig
Occasional Advisor

I have installed the Data Protector Express Software for backup and this software works with the tape.

I dont unterstand why the L&TT can not find the tape.
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Hi Georg,

A look at the EventLog you attached suggests a problem with L&TT... Looks like something with your configuration is confusing the device scan code. This is pretty rare and we'd like to get to the bottom of it.

We'll take a look at the information you've already sent us but hopefully you'll also be able to help if we need more information or, perhaps, have modified code to try...?

We'll get back to you.

Richard (L&TT team)
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong