1753707 Members
5268 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LOW PERFORMANCE WITH MSL5030 AND NSR E1200

CA1048112

LOW PERFORMANCE WITH MSL5030 AND NSR E1200

hi!

first of all, I have a msl5030 conected to a nsr e1200.

nsr e1200 configuration:
firmware level= 5.01.04
bios= 4.19
booter version= 4.11
msl 5030 configuration:
firmware revision= 4.21

I'm using CA Arcserve v9 buckup software and I get a very low performance, my usual
Average Throughput is 211,56 MB/min, in fact is 12693,6 MB/hr (12.39 GB/hr). I think that it is very poor!!, on HP web page they say that the maximum theoric is 108 GB/hr.

can somebody help me?
Thanks

Juan Carlos
5 REPLIES 5
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: LOW PERFORMANCE WITH MSL5030 AND NSR E1200

You can use HP Library & Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools) and run the device performance test (Dev Perf) to check the throughput to the drives. There is also a system performance test to see how fast you can get data off your system.

If those are both good, then you should look at configurations in your app (e.g. block size).
The journey IS the reward.
CA1048112

Thanks David!!

I have proved HP Library & Tape Tools (L&TT) software in my system and I have got a very good response.

I have done two test:

- first one is the System test and the results are: 31 MB/s with 4GB of data (I think it is very good).

-The second one is a Device Performance test, the selected options are:At Step 1 I have selected the same compression that I have in my ArcServe configuration (1.6.1 compression) and at the second Step I have Selected another compression type (2.1 compresion)

-My results are:

1.6.1 compression -> 18 MB/s ->63.2 GB/hr
2.1 compresion -> 24 MB/s ->84.4 GB/hr

also I think that this results are really good. but here appears the problem. When I test to copy from disk using ArcServe v9 Buckup Software my throughtputs are very poors. For example this this morning I have copied 20 GB file server disk and I got a throughput of 266MB/min. (15,6GB/hour).

There is anybody with the same issue?

Thanks!!
CA1049916

I had the same prob. about 6 months ago.
Have u done an upgrade to ver. 9.01 and all the patches ???

Confirm that you are powering up in the correct order...

1. MSL and wait until online
2. SAN Switch and wait
3. Servers and try.

I get around 480Mb/min on local c: drive that is on an MSA1000 and about 960MB/s on Y: that is on MSA1000 with Virual Replicator and contains user files.

If this continues I suggest you contact CA.

Artur Maia
meloni
Honored Contributor

hi Juan,
take in mind that several factors can interfere with the backup application:
antivirus
open files
mapped disks
monitoring software

have a look at this doc:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50167

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA1048112

Thanks for your help!

I have upgrade all versions and I have all patch of arcServe. And I confirm that I'm powering up in the correct order, but I cant stop San Switch, because this san is on production.

I have done some more test, connecting directly the scsi server port to the library, and my results were very good! (1.2Gb/min) but I need to connect 3 cluster servers to the library and I can't use this direct conection!!

also I tried to connect the 2 scsi control channels to the two drives and my results were very bad 120 Mb/min!!

I don't know what more can I do!
can somebody help me?

Thanks