StoreEver Tape Storage
1748282 Members
4025 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LSI 1030 ULTRIUM 460 PROLIANT DL 740 Does not recognize both drives at the same time

Maizza Farideh

LSI 1030 ULTRIUM 460 PROLIANT DL 740 Does not recognize both drives at the same time

Hello!

I'm having trouble to use two tape drives connected to my ProLiant DL740 server, which uses Windows 2000. The drives are connected to the PCI-X card, which is a LSI Logic 1030 with dual channel, as a scsi HBA.

I used to have only one Ultrium460 tape drive. Its SCSI ID is 3.
Now, we bought another one. Its SCSI ID is 11. When I connect it to the HBA, and start the server, on the prompt it is displayed only the new scsi-2 ultrium. And in windows, it works fine. And no errors are showed.

Another weird thing is when I change the old drive to the other HBA port, it is not displayed on the prompt, either.

The new Ultrium does work in both ports.

Please, help me and give me some hints about what could it be.

Thanks, in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Razvan P
Occasional Advisor

Re: LSI 1030 ULTRIUM 460 PROLIANT DL 740 Does not recognize both drives at the same time

Hello,

Try to upgrade both SCSI HBA card and also the Ultrium units to latest firmware. Take a look in the SCSI card BIOS to see what settings do you have for both SCSI ID's.

Hope this helps!
Have a nice day!
Maizza Farideh

Re: LSI 1030 ULTRIUM 460 PROLIANT DL 740 Does not recognize both drives at the same time

Thanks for your help.

I did upgrade my old tape drive. It had F5CD and now it has F63D, as the new tape drive.
But I still, have the same trouble.
Please, comment a bit more about the scsi bios card settings. I didn't understand.
Razvan P
Occasional Advisor

What I wanted to says about BIOS is to check for your card if it has the same settings for both channels.

You can try also to connect the new drive and cascade the old one to it. I mean to connect it to the 2nd port of the new one. Drives have auto-term so don't worry.

I can't make any tests to reproduce your setup because one of my drives is dead. Both Drive and Tape Error LEDs are flashing.
Maizza Farideh

Thanks for your info, time and help.

I've been looking at the configuration and settings and I don't see anything different.

I cannot cascade them, because they are placed in a 3u rackmount kit, so the bus doesn't allow to connect the units, one beside the other. It only could be if they were one on top of the other one. Thus, they have to go with diffent internal scsi cables, and different externals, as well.

Please, if you think in anything else, please, let me know.

Thanks, in advance.

Regards,
Razvan P
Occasional Advisor

Maybe....just a thought....

The problem could be with the SCSI IDs...

I had a problem with one LSI controller with 2 external ports. The contraller had ID 7 and on one port I had to use 0 to 6, 7 was the controller itself and on the other port 8 to 15.

Just try to play with that maybe it will work some how...

You can also try to put ID 4 instead of 11...

Don't know what to say.