StoreEver Tape Storage
1751720 Members
3521 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTO 2 Drive (Autoloader). What does HP have to offer?

NPD USER
Regular Advisor

LTO 2 Drive (Autoloader). What does HP have to offer?

Currently using HP SureStore DLT Autoloader Model 718. I'm backing up aproxx 80 GB a week using HP Data Protector 5.1.

Need to start backing up 400+ GB a week. Looking for an external LTO 2 Drive with an autoloader (slots).

I prefer HP hardware to connect to windows PC.

Any suggestions, prices, links.

Thanks,

Mario.

4 REPLIES 4
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The 1x8 Autloader and the new MSL 2024 would probably be the two best fits.

The 1x8 Autoloader has 1 drive and 8 slots in a 2U rack mount space and is available with LTO3 full height, LTO 2 448 half height, and LTO 1 232 half height drives. It looks like the online price is about $5,100.00 for the 448 version.

Personally I like the MSL2024 which will give you 24 slots and 2 drive capability in the exact same 2U space. It is a little more expensive at about $8,900 for the 448 version but you have 3 times the number of tapes and the ability to upgrade to 2 drives in the future if you need to so quite a bit of future proofing. You also get remote administration with a web interface and a barcode reader. Both are options I like.

Details on both are at http://www.hp.com/go/tapebackup. The 1x8 Autloader is under autoloaders and the MSL 2024 is under midrange backup.
aleks mindlin
Frequent Advisor

HP SureStore 1/9 Autoloader and 2/20 Tape Library are capable of working with LTO-2 drives. Price will be much better, then the 1/8 Autloader and the new MSL 2024.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The 1/9 and 2/20 libraries never were available with LTO-2 drives. I have seen where some have been modified and sold that way on eBay and possibly other sources but modifed and used would be the only way you could buy one of those so the 1/8 and MSL2024 are the best bet for a product that will be sold and supported by HP.