108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Query: LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 Firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
jstenner
Occasional Advisor

LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 Firmware update

I purchased an Ultrium 3000 drive in 2013. It has worked flawlessly for regular LTO-5 archiving since then. I decided I'd like to format a set of tapes for LTFS and using HPE StoreOpen 3.4.2, Canister, mkltfs it fails here:

Resetting the medium's capacity proportion
LTFS20064E Locate failed (-1)

I think it might be because the current firmware (Z5AD) needs to be updated to support multi-partitioning. (just guessing) I have searched the HPE website find that there's a Z6ED firmware update but can't download it because it's locked behind a paywall. I called support and they ask for my device serial number. I give it to them and they say it's not found.

Is there any way I can update my firmware? TIA for any help.

19 REPLIES 19
jstenner
Occasional Advisor

Re: LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 Firmware update

My OS is Mac OSX 10.15.7

support_s
System Recommended

Query: LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 Firmware update

System recommended content:

1. CUSTOMER NOTICE: HP StoreEver LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 SAS tape drive Z64D firmware is available

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

jstenner
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I found that page previously. The download button is locked. When you click on it, a window pops up saying "Support validation required" - "An active warranty or support agreement covering StoreEver must be linked to your HPE Support Center profile to access this firmware."

This was purchased in 2013...well out of warranty and I don't have a support contract. Is there a way to get firmware updates, otherwise?

Thanks

KKrew

I have warranty for my device and still can't get past the paywall.

NarayanKK-SO
HPE Pro

Hello @jstenner,

Kindly install HPE Library and Tape tools to perform the FW upgrade.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_daaf30b92f6746c48bb149d764#tab2

If you are using any backup app. Make sure to stop the service or the app before running a device scan in LTT.

Let us know if this helped. 

Thanks,

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise] Accept or Kudo
jstenner
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, but I had already installed the latest version of L&TT.

1. I don't have any backup software running.

2. When I do a device scan I get this:

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 7.41.51 AM.png

3. I would still need the firmware which is located behind a paywall in order to update the device.

Perhaps you can tell me whether my device, which has firmware version Z5AD *should* support LTFS?

Thanks,

Jack

Moderator edit: Erased the confidential info.

NarayanKK-SO
HPE Pro

Hello Frank,

Please let us know whether this drive is a Standalone External/Internal or Rack-mounted or a part of a Library ?

Provide us with the Part# details as well, without which we cannot provide you the latest FW. 

To answer your query, HPE StoreEver LTO 5 drive supports LTFS and that is not dependent on the FW. You can also check the Compatibility matrix for all StoreEver Products from the following file. You will need HPE Passport to login.

https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/utility/document.aspx?docurl=Shared%20Documents/hw/nearline/2022_DAPRMatrix.zip

Hope this answers your query. 

Thanks

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise] Accept or Kudo
jstenner
Occasional Advisor

This is a standalone external unit.

Part number: 693417-001

Thanks,

Jack

NarayanKK-SO
HPE Pro

@jstenner 

Please provide your email ID through a private message. So i can send you the .frm file. You need to use L&TT to perform the upgrade. 

File Name:- LTT_Ultrium_5-SCSI_Z6ED_STANDALONE.frm

Thanks 

I'm an HPE employee.