StoreEver Tape Storage
1753797 Members
7422 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LTO Ultrium 230 E4/40 with Solaris - compatibility

david day_1

LTO Ultrium 230 E4/40 with Solaris - compatibility

I am building a Legato backup server on a Sun E220R with this library via SCSI. I am attempting to determine which version of Solaris to use. Anyone know for certain this configuration will function under Solaris 8? If so, are there any patches, customizations etc. that are not obvious? Under Solaris 7 and Veritas 3.4.1, I had to try several settings in the st.conf file before I had success plus a firmware update. TIA
2 REPLIES 2
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: LTO Ultrium 230 E4/40 with Solaris - compatibility

This library has been used some on Solaris 7 with no problems. I don't know of any Solaris 8 installations using it.

HP has a document at http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50151.html
which discusses using an Ultrium drive on Solaris but it only mentions Solaris 2. Hopefully the st.conf values for Solaris 8 are the same.

One thing tricky about that document is that it rmentions 6 spaces in the device identifier but then only prints 1, the value should be tape-config-list = "HP Ultrium","HP Ultrium","ULTRIUM", .....
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: LTO Ultrium 230 E4/40 with Solaris - compatibility

In above reply this web site was too smart and removed the extra spaces in the device identifier. Maybe that is why it shows up wrong in the other document as well. Using "-" instead of spaces.
tape-config-list = "HP------Ultrium","HP------Ultrium","ULTRIUM" . . . (replace all "-" with spaces)