StoreEver Tape Storage
1753846 Members
7696 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LTO3: remove label - barcode still in LTO-CM

Lx

LTO3: remove label - barcode still in LTO-CM

I did remove labels from my LTO3 media. I wish use them without any labels.

But the barcode is still saved in the LTO-CM.

If I insert media into my drive and use HP LTT tools I see that media report barcode from label which previously have.

Can I put the information that this media have no label into LTO-CM?

3 REPLIES 3
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: LTO3: remove label - barcode still in LTO-CM

Is the media in a library or a standalone drive? Media in a library should never be used without proper barcodes. Most of the libraries have functionality that depends on correct barcode labels.

The barcode label can be written to the CM by an ISV application or a tape library. If you used an ISV application on a standalone tape drive you may be able to delete the barcode in that app and it will clear the CM. If it's in a library the behavior varies a little depending on which library. Some will write the value every load and some will only change the value if the library detects a different barcode.
Lx

I using tape autoloader HP 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR.

If I change label on media then barcode stored in the LTO-CM change too. If I remove label from media then barcode stored in the LTO-CM remains.

I using that tape library with Backup Exec 12.5. I did deleted all corresponding media from application catalog.

Newly dedected media (old barcode in LTO-CM ie. in the "media header") are not usable. Every backup job fail immediately after "media header" read with error message "An unknown error occurred on device V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred".
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Once a barcode has been set there is no provision in the 1/8 G2 for clearing the barcode, only changing it, as you have discovered. It's possible to do it but not utilities are available at this time for doing that and the library won't. Something potentially could be created.

Do you mean to say that BackupExec won't let you use the media anymore once you remove the barcode?