1751960 Members
4514 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LTO7 tape usage mounts

SBarton
Occasional Visitor

LTO7 tape usage mounts

I am currently putting together documentation for the maintenance / checks of the LT07 robots and the Tapes conatined therein. I need to know the maximum recommended mounts for a tape before it is best to replace it.

The tapes are in the Robots and not removed ( exceot for the end of month copies ) and have a 25 day retention period and so always get filled up to full capacity. They are not partially writtene and then removed , expired and put back in. We have a mixture of mounts ranging form approx 84 with one tape currently sitting at 4000 mounts..

When should I replace the tapes or should it only be if we detect tapes issues?

2 REPLIES 2
tapelibraryfixr
Trusted Contributor

Re: LTO7 tape usage mounts

Im no expert but i see few web sites say 20000 load/unloads for an LTO7 tape but i dont know how true that is.

im not sure you can put a specific number on it as environmental aspects can make a big differance to media and drive life.

Im used to using backup exec which lets you see the errors made of each tape and drive so it easy to determine whats worth keeping and eye on or just replacing. having said that tapes can snap in which case you need to determine if the drive was the cause or was it the tapes integrity due to over use.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: LTO7 tape usage mounts

Hello,

Please follow the below documents.

Linear Tape-Open Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo