StoreEver Tape Storage
1752777 Members
6423 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LTT DAT24 Win2K Server Problem

Hi,

i know - but it worked on the old server and on my test system....only on the new server it doesn├В┬┤t work yet....

friday i get the server and see what i can do...

greetz
D.L.

Hi,

i have got the log and the server now.

see atachments.

thx
Dominik

PS: Where can I find the Factory PW?
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Is the unit terminated?
The 19160 card will cause the drive to have the tendancy to fall off the bus. Adaptec and HP do not support this card for tape drives. The results of using this card are unpredicable and can cause intermittent problems, like working on one server for a few months then falling off the bus and not being recognized.
The recommended card is a 29160.
Get the driver for a 19160 here:
http://adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASC-19160&filekey=fms_on_cd_v40a_sp3a_ms_only.exe

RSM needs to be stopped before using LTT. Or you will get random and intermittent errors from LTT. IF you are not using NT back up you do not need RSM. I would recommend disabling RSM if you are going to use arcserve as your back up software. If you use arcserve you need to right click on the drive in device manager and disable the tape drive. The reason for this is because arcserve uses internal drivers. We do not want drivers to be installed on the drive if you are using arcserve.

Try these suggestions and let me know how it goes.

Hi Jaclyn,

it is strange because it works fine on other hardware. I just take out the controller with cables plugged in etc. and it doesn├В┬┤t work on the server after using it on the other PC.
The hardware is different. The drive is definately terminated.

The other thing is, that when no controller is plugged in the server LTT doesn├В┬┤t show anything. just that the scan ended with errors.

on the other system it gives me a list of all atapi devices and the 19160, if its plugged in.

server has a tyan mainboard with nforce4. the test system has a msi mainboard with SIS Chipset.

On both system same OS (manual built 2ksrv sp4 with integrated nvraid drivers.)

thx for your help.

Dominik

Configs i tried on the Server HW:

1)windows xp pro sp2, no scsi controller, no raid and it works.

2) win2ksrv sp4, no scsi, no raid -> doesn├В┬┤t work --> ended with errors. if i take aspi scan it gives me some busses to choose...

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

This is looking more like a Win 2003 issue.
See doc:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_OT040301_CW01

Aspi support is rarely ever used in LTT. You always want to use NT miniport and do a new hardware scan.

I have never seen reliable results from this scsi card. And Adaptec does not list Win 2003 as a supported OS for this scsi card.

If you are in LTT, and back up services have been stopped (start>run>services.msc), and RSM is disabled... and on the by connection tab you do not see your controller card, this configuration is not going to get you results.

If in device manager you see the scsi card, is the tape drive listed under tape drives?

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

HP does have a trade in program where you can swap your working 19160 card for a 29160 card.

Go to www.hp.com/go/tradein

Hi,

thanks for the Info but....

the prob is NOT the controller. It works fine on other Systems. The LTT Software DOES not work anyway. If NO controller
is plugged in - LTT should give me a list of all atapi devices scanned... like in my test system - but on the server it says error. My main prob is, that LTT can not access any Devices on my Server and I think if I solve this problem - the rest will work.

The Error only occurs on Win2k SRV SP4.

Do you have any Information from the LOGS - what do they say?

Please!

I give you some screenshots....

i can├В┬┤t go to any tab in the LTT everthing is blocked - the only thing that works is preference, sys perf. and close the program...

thx
Dominik

PS: RSM is disabled.

now i installed win2k srv sp4 on an IDE disk not SATA on the Server --> it works. errors in LTT but i can select the device and make some tests....

it really seems to be connected to the nvraid drivers.....??!?