StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTT DAT24 Win2K Server Problem

LTT DAT24 Win2K Server Problem

Hi,

i installed a fresh win2k srv on a tyan nforce 4 mainboard, sata mirror and an adaptec 19160 SCSI controller. DAT24 SCSI C1537A.

Problem:

I can´t get the LTT Prog run. I also installed a test system on an other machine - there it works propoerly. I also uninstalled ArcServe on the server. When LTT want to scan Miniport NT i cannot find any drives. After I installed ASPI it recognises the C1537A but no test possible.

I also installed serveral drivers of the SCSI Contr and the C1537A...

pls help me.

thx in advance!

Dominik
27 REPLIES

Re: LTT DAT24 Win2K Server Problem

additional info:

LTT doesn´t before it scans it says: "Scan ende with errors"

No further description ;-(

thx!

additional info:

LTT doesn´t scan. before it scans it says: "Scan ende with errors"

No further description ;-(

thx!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Dominik,

Is the Windows Removable Storage service (RSM) disabled?

Typically ASPI will get around having the device locked by another application/service with the miniport driver.

What do you mean by no tests are possible (with ASPI)?

If the NT miniport scan issue remains with RSM (and your backup app) disabled, then send the eventlog.ltt file (in the logs subfolder under LTT) to ltt_team@hp.com.
The journey IS the reward.

Hello David,

thx for your quick answer. i didn´t check the RSM Service yet.

Backup App was deinstalled after several tries.

When I scan with ASPI the Device is shown but not selectable. All buttons are grey.

The next time i can get to the server is tomorrow. Can i simulate the Problem?

Could it be connected to the Nforce drivers?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> When I scan with ASPI the Device is shown but not selectable. All buttons are grey.

The buttons are grey until a device is selected. Only blue (icon) devices can be selected. If the DDS drive icon is grey, then LTT does not recognize the product ID correctly (manufacturer & product ID string). If you click on a gray device it should show a Device Information tab.

> The next time i can get to the server is tomorrow. Can i simulate the Problem?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

> Could it be connected to the Nforce drivers?

Video drivers? No. Applications typically use the hpdat.sys driver. LTT using a built-in (win NT) driver or ASPI to access the drive.

I am not at the office at the moment.

nforce drivers:
the nforce driver pack incl. also IDE and Chipset drivers not only VGA.

regards
Dominik
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Thanks for clarifying the nforce driver statement.

You will need to have the appropriate (typically adpatec) driver installed for the 19160 SCSI controller. You should be able to verify that in control panel.

If the 19160 is actually on the motherboard, then the driver might have been provided with a driver set there.

Hi,

the thing is - i used the same driver on the server and the testsystem.

on my test system (1800mhz sis chipset) i even can access the c1537a with LTT when ntbackup is opened. and it doesn´t matter if RSM is running or not... next thing is installing arcserve and looking if it affects
the problem.

nforce:
sorry but...i am almost getting mad because of this prob. *g*

thx
Dominik

PS: I am trying to get the same issue on my test system. But i will see if i can get the logs from the server tomorrow.
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

i know - but it worked on the old server and on my test system....only on the new server it doesn´t work yet....

friday i get the server and see what i can do...

greetz
D.L.

Hi,

i have got the log and the server now.

see atachments.

thx
Dominik

PS: Where can I find the Factory PW?
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Is the unit terminated?
The 19160 card will cause the drive to have the tendancy to fall off the bus. Adaptec and HP do not support this card for tape drives. The results of using this card are unpredicable and can cause intermittent problems, like working on one server for a few months then falling off the bus and not being recognized.
The recommended card is a 29160.
Get the driver for a 19160 here:
http://adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASC-19160&filekey=fms_on_cd_v40a_sp3a_ms_only.exe

RSM needs to be stopped before using LTT. Or you will get random and intermittent errors from LTT. IF you are not using NT back up you do not need RSM. I would recommend disabling RSM if you are going to use arcserve as your back up software. If you use arcserve you need to right click on the drive in device manager and disable the tape drive. The reason for this is because arcserve uses internal drivers. We do not want drivers to be installed on the drive if you are using arcserve.

Try these suggestions and let me know how it goes.

Hi Jaclyn,

it is strange because it works fine on other hardware. I just take out the controller with cables plugged in etc. and it doesn´t work on the server after using it on the other PC.
The hardware is different. The drive is definately terminated.

The other thing is, that when no controller is plugged in the server LTT doesn´t show anything. just that the scan ended with errors.

on the other system it gives me a list of all atapi devices and the 19160, if its plugged in.

server has a tyan mainboard with nforce4. the test system has a msi mainboard with SIS Chipset.

On both system same OS (manual built 2ksrv sp4 with integrated nvraid drivers.)

thx for your help.

Dominik

Configs i tried on the Server HW:

1)windows xp pro sp2, no scsi controller, no raid and it works.

2) win2ksrv sp4, no scsi, no raid -> doesn´t work --> ended with errors. if i take aspi scan it gives me some busses to choose...

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

This is looking more like a Win 2003 issue.
See doc:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_OT040301_CW01

Aspi support is rarely ever used in LTT. You always want to use NT miniport and do a new hardware scan.

I have never seen reliable results from this scsi card. And Adaptec does not list Win 2003 as a supported OS for this scsi card.

If you are in LTT, and back up services have been stopped (start>run>services.msc), and RSM is disabled... and on the by connection tab you do not see your controller card, this configuration is not going to get you results.

If in device manager you see the scsi card, is the tape drive listed under tape drives?

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

HP does have a trade in program where you can swap your working 19160 card for a 29160 card.

Go to www.hp.com/go/tradein

Hi,

thanks for the Info but....

the prob is NOT the controller. It works fine on other Systems. The LTT Software DOES not work anyway. If NO controller
is plugged in - LTT should give me a list of all atapi devices scanned... like in my test system - but on the server it says error. My main prob is, that LTT can not access any Devices on my Server and I think if I solve this problem - the rest will work.

The Error only occurs on Win2k SRV SP4.

Do you have any Information from the LOGS - what do they say?

Please!

I give you some screenshots....

i can´t go to any tab in the LTT everthing is blocked - the only thing that works is preference, sys perf. and close the program...

thx
Dominik

PS: RSM is disabled.

now i installed win2k srv sp4 on an IDE disk not SATA on the Server --> it works. errors in LTT but i can select the device and make some tests....

it really seems to be connected to the nvraid drivers.....??!?

i put an image of the server os on an ide disk.
1:1

booting the server:

nvraid enabled --> error
nvraid disabled --> works

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

What version of Library and tape tools do you have?
If you had a previous version installed and you installed a new version, you would have had to uninstall the old LTT first before installing the new version. If all the parts did not uninstall correctly you would have had to download an unistall utility what would have cleaned up the remnants of the old LTT.
Go here to get the newest LTT and I would advise uninstalling the version of LTT you have now (through add/remove programs) and if it says all parts were removed successfully, continue to install LTT 3.5 SR3.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=406729&prodTypeId=12169
Remember when running LTT to do tests you need to select your drive once the initial scan completes or you will not have the option of running test or upgrading firmware.
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

To address the raid issue.
Tape drives do not work connected to RAID controllers. This could be complicating things for LTT. If you have a RAID in your server LTT should see all SCSI devices. Usually it will see your RAID arrays and your scsi controller cards and your tape drive. You seem to be having a unique problem. It is difficult to tell from what you have said, however, makes sure when you use LTT you select new hardware scan and nTminiport everytime... if you select saved manual scan it might generate the things you are describing.
Does LTT do the initial scan and then find no devices?

Hi,

i have got the latest version of LTT cleanly installed. no prior version have been installed.

I testet LTT in an other server with an promise ATA Raid --> No Problems!

I think it a unique prob. too - only appears with the NvRaid with Nforce4 Chipset...

damn - am i the only one having a backup device in an nforce chipset server? *g*

also involved Tyan Support... the think its a driver issue... i think so too...

but i wonder if Nvidia will correct this issue, because I couldn´t find anyone with the same probs, especially running an HP DAT on an Nforce Motherboard....

thx
Dominik
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Normally installing adaptec divers for adaptec scsi cards, and your back up software drivers for your tape drive resolves the issue if drivers are causing conflicts. I have not seen it happen the way yours seems to be happening.

Which back up software are you using?