New Discussion юеВ

LTT

SOLVED
Go to solution
Morcos
Super Advisor

LTT

Hello,

If I want to do a hardware scan on a MSL 6060 (Connected through fiber), can I use LTT (storage works library and tape tools) on my laptop to run the utility?
Kind Regards,
Ziad
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: LTT

No, since... well... I have been looking for a fibre pcmcia card for ages, but they do not seem to make any or I haven't found any.

You CAN, if you have a docking bay with an expansion slot in it that you can put a fibre hba into and connect to the SAN.

I am almost sure the utility does not offer any passthrough service that wold allow you to talke to a server over the LAN that is connected to the SAN, but I could be wrong.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Just to follow up on Steven's point, LTT can find any devices that the system can see via one of the SCSI based interfaces - that's SCSI, FC, USB, iSCSI and SAS (coming soon). It can't access FC devices over the LAN for instance.

I was going to say 'yes' to your question but I didn't know if there was a FC-PCMCIA card. It sounds like there isn't.

You can install LTT on any server that can see your FC drive. It's a safe install but if you really don't want to do that you can also run LTT direct from a CD without installing at all though that's only available on Windows. What OS do your servers run?

If you have Windows and want to create a run-from CD then just install it normally on any Windows server and then copy the install directory to the CD. LTT will recognise that it's being run from a CD and not write anything into your system - apart from a temp directory which it will ask you for. No registry entries.

Hope some of this helps.

Richard (LTT)

It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Morcos
Super Advisor

thx guys for your answers.