StoreEver Tape Storage
1752817 Members
4907 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Leds flashing, tape ejects after 5 seconds

Leds flashing, tape ejects after 5 seconds

I got a HP Ultrium 448, and have a problem.
It won't accept backup tapes, which it ejects after 5 seconds. But the cleaning cartridge it accepts but won't eject when I push the eject button.

The following leds are flashing:
Clean-not lit,nor flashing.
Tape-yellow-flash
Drive-yellow-flash
Ready-green-lit

I inserts the backup tape, and it sounds like its reads a little before ejecting.

When I insert cleaning cart., the clean led lit and I can't eject it. Only pressing the eject button for 20 seconds works.

Ticket is attached.

Any solutions are very welcome. Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leds flashing, tape ejects after 5 seconds

hrm.. interesting
are you using correct tapes for this tape drive?

its more looks hardware issue, have you try to connect this tape drive to other server what happen,
below is the specification for this tape drive go through it to get more info.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/en/WF31a/12169-304612-3446236-3446236-3446236-463702.html

I'm using HP, invent. C7972A 400GB, ultrium 2 LTO tapes. The same tapes I've just for several years. They suddenly stopped working.

I found this in the ticket:
"The drive has experienced a fatal head calibration error."

And:
"Multiple errors have been reported while a cartridge is being push loaded,
but it is not possible to identify if this is the same cartridge as the previous time this error occurred.If this is a different cartridge, and if this drive is in a library, then the library may be at fault."

I found this:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=463702&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=463702&objectID=lpg50144

"Drive Error LED flashing (Ready, Tape Error or Use Cleaning Tape LEDs may be flashing).

Drive has suffered an unrecoverable hardware failure"

So I should perhaps replace the tape streamer. It's a couple of years old and daily backup, but the LTT tests says its condition is great, 95%+.