108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 6060 and replacement hp Ultrium 960 internal drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
b heimbigner
Advisor

MSA 6060 and replacement hp Ultrium 960 internal drive

I have an MSA 6060 and need to replace a drive. It came with Ultrium 460 drives. SO, have a drive holder the Part number of the drive itself is the same as the standard 'internal' tape drive. Any reason to spend $8000 on a MSL6000 Ultrium 960 Drive #AD612B Versus Ultrium 960 internal #Q1538A at $2600?

Has anyone done this?

I understand the 960 drives require their own controller port.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor

Hello,
According to this link
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/tapestorage/MSL_drivematrix.pdf

all you have to do is replace the ultrium 460 for the ultrium 960 (it is supported and you just have to change the drive).

by looking on the MSL6000 quickspecs,
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11863_div/11863_div.html

the correct replacements are:
HP MSL6000 460 ultrium drive: p/n AD605B
HP MSL6000 960 ultrium drive: p/n AD612B
(no additional kit required)

however, Q1538A would not even fit into your library.

kind regards,
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

For AD612B MSL Ultrium 960 Upgrade Drive,
configure single drive per SCSI bus.
In FC SAN config, use only with e1200-160 or
e1200-320 FC controller.
Solution

ok I'm talking about the bare drive I HAVE the drive holder/mount whatever you want to call it. It has an ultrium 460 inside the mount/holder the 460 part number is Q1518B.

the D612B is the mount AND the Drive, I don't need another mount. I have one (2 actually.)
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

You cannot use a stand alone tape drive in a Library. The firmware is different because there is communication out of band between the library controller and the drive.
You cannot change the firmware from stand alone to automation drive because the personality is different, this pprevent the operation to be made in the field.
Also the front panel is a bit different.
marino
b heimbigner
Advisor

humm... Thanks for your comment Marino. But how can there be "communication out of band between the library controller and the drive." when they are not even on the same SCSI bus or even controller? I notice that the SCSI cabling connection ports are actually on the 6060 so I'll accept that there could be communication between the 6060 and the drive.

The REAL Question:

Has anyone actually tried to use a standard internal tape drive as a replacement in a library? Did the library see the drive at all? could you run jobs (the backup program does most of the work) I├в d think this should work so long as the backup program 'sees' the drive.
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor

Hi,
A while ago, I replaced a internal tape drive on a autoloader 1/8. Nevertheless, it was a nightmare, most of the connectors were different, so I ended up doing a mix of both drives in order to make it work. After that the autoloader and Data protector were able to use the drive without any problem. however, as I said, it was an autoloader 1/8 and not a MSL.
nbhms
Advisor

I have the opposite scenario - I have an Ultrium 460 drive in an SSL1016 library which I'd like to put in an MSL6060 library - but I need a drive carrier for the MSL6060 to be able to use it. And I can't find a part number for ordering MSL6060 drive carriers, only part numbers for ordering a drive in a carrier.

For those more knowledgeable on the firmware issue - is there a difference in the drive firmware between an MSL Ultrium 460 drive and an SSL1016 Ultrium 460 drive?

thanks
b heimbigner
Advisor

I finally got around to trying this and - forget about it. As Marino suggests it will not work. Installing the bare 960 drive was no problem. I removed the flippy/floppy door from the faceplate and mounted in the carrier. I had no problems with the physical connections. The server and backup exec saw it just fine. However, the library complained and would never put a tape in the drive.

Our solution - We├в ve order 2 refurbished drives for far less than one new drive. An alternative for us was to purchase a new library for about the cost of single drive for the 6060. It is a very disappointing situation. In fact you can buy a new 48 slot library from HP with 2 tape drives for about the cost of the drive alone.