StoreEver Tape Storage
1748111 Members
3840 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSAL FC array direct connection

blithespirit

MSAL FC array direct connection

I have a wierd request and think I know the answer already but curious.

I have a DL360 G5, dual port FC card and one port goes off to a direct connected MSA200FC, the other port I want to plug directly into a MSL2024 FC Tape library, the only reason for this config is that the other spare slot in the 360 has a quad port NIC so no free slots for SAS HBA, dont want network connection and no money for SAN switch.

am I being stupid or is this valid?

thanks for the help

Paul
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: MSAL FC array direct connection

Possible.

From the manual about port modes:

"Select Port Type: Fabric (N) if connecting to a fibre switch, or Loop (NL) if connecting directly to an
HBA or fibre hub."

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Paul,

direct connect is supported, but it's really nasty. If you have a dual-controller MSA, be sure to activate host-port interconnect. Otherwise you will get problems to use vdisks, that are owned by controller B. Also you will get in trouble when a controller fails and the other controller will own the vdisks. This is because of the path management. You should use a dual-port HBA for the MSA and connect it to both host ports of a controller.

Direct connect is also support for the MSL.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
blithespirit

Thanks for the fast advice, I have already set up the MSA for direct connect and failover seems to be working fine, I did have problem wih the new software on the MSA2000 and SCSI-3 reservations for windows 2008 but I sorted that, I am used to the old software which is far simpler in my opinion. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with connectors hence removing one path from my controllers for the library if necessary.

I may try my hand with DC or tell my customer to find more budget for a physical server with SAS and DC from that into the SAN.

Thanks Guys for the help, definately something to ponder