1748289 Members
3292 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL 2024 Failed Firmware Upgrade

karateckie

MSL 2024 Failed Firmware Upgrade

Good afternoon,
I attempted to upgrade the MSL2024 library firmware today, in an effort to fix an issue where we've had tapes marked as 'poor' and failed backups for 1 week now.

The upgrade was moving from 3.00 to 4.40 via the L&TT utility program. I was also upgrading the HP Ultrium SCSI from G54W to G63W in the same manner. During the upgrade, the L&TT program advised me the firmware update had failed, and told me to view the log. However at that point the program itself froze. I waiting a few minutes, closed the program's process and then opened it again to attempt to view the log. I had to pull the log out from the program files folder (therefore I couldn't submit it as a ticket) so I have that *.ltt log attached.

Now, the MSL 2024 reports on it's front panel that it's "Upgrading" Drive 1, however it's been that way for over two hours. Also, the L&TT program cannot see either the SCSI or MSL2024 device.

We have a network storage router (NSR) in between the server and the library, L&TT had detected the NSR needed a firmware update as well but reported that the firmware lifecycle was "Inactive (obsolete and not supported)".

Any suggestions for how to get the MSL2024 back from it's attempt at upgrading would be helpful. It is locked from a manual shutdown because when I press the power it reports the "drive is busy" and I'm assuming I should not unplug it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kara
13 REPLIES 13
cnb
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL 2024 Failed Firmware Upgrade

Kara,

I suspect that it's waiting to re-establish host communication for status posting, since it's offline to the software, it can't finish the process. I would try to get the host to see the unit again before attempting to pull the plug. If not, then that may be your only option at this point.

You'll need to re-establish Host - NSR - Library communication. Can the NSR see the library? Can the host see the NSR? May need to reboot/restart the NSR.

LTT reported a loss of TUR Tape Unit Ready and then loss of communication.

Might want to upgrade the NSR before attempting another upgrade and it appears that the library drive was reporting a high scsi polling rate. Make sure no other host or RSM is trying to access the unit during upgrade(s).

HP N1200-320 4G (NSR reported in the log)
Firmware can be found here (many changes regarding lost units/drives, unable to pull tickets, communication failures, etc...):

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1849322&swItem=co-61886-1&prodNameId=1849323&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

Make sure you're using the latest version of LT&T. There are known firmware update failure issues documented with the MSL 2024.

HTH,

Kara Glunt
Occasional Advisor

cnb,
Thanks for your reply. We actually as of yesterday had this issue resolved by HP support.

At the time of your questions, the NSR could see the tape library and drive. A reboot and discovery had been run on it with no change in the LT&T software.

The LT&T had been updated per the recommendation of the software itself before the attempted update of the firmware.

The issue ended up being with the scsi connection from the server to the tape drive. The cable was connected but the terminator light wasn't on...somehow when the server had been shut down before and restarted, the scsi terminator stopped working? After we switched the scsi terminator and the connection around, the light came back on and now all devices were showing up in LT&T. The firmware upgrade actually worked but had hung at the end for some reason...so the HP tech had us run the firmware update again to be sure, as well as update the NSR firmware.

Thanks for your detailed response, all information was applicable. Points assigned. Have a good day!

Kara
Kara Glunt
Occasional Advisor

Ok well I was going to assign points...but even though I'm logged in the message next to your name that says 'unassigned' is still not a menu? What am I supposed to do?

Thanks,
Kara
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Kara,

Thanks and see this thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

You should see a drop-down box if you're logged in under the same username/account as the original message was posted under (I say this only because several of us have multiple accounts).

Rgds,

cnb
Honored Contributor

To clarify:

The drop-down box is in each reply message header.

Kara Glunt
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your response. I'm feeling rather dumb here because I seem to be doing exactly what the instructions say...I'm logged in (with the account that posted the question) and looking at your response...I see where it says 'Unassigned'. I've attached a screenshot...you can see that there's no drop down box. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kara
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Kara,

Hmmm... Indeed, there's a problem assigning points at the moment. I tried to re-open and reassisgn points and have the same problem, no drop-downs to assign points to replies.

I'll send a note off to see if someone can shed some light on why this isn't working.

Rgds,
Kara Glunt
Occasional Advisor

Oh good, that makes me feel better. Thanks for your help. I'll check back later and try to assign points again.

Kara
cnb
Honored Contributor

Kara,

I sent an inquiry and am waiting to see if anyone has an idea. However, one of my other thread responses just received points. So unless you're able to assign now, there may be something particular to the thread or your account.

Rgds,