1753808 Members
8089 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSL 2024 Sequential Problem

ErrADDict
Visitor

MSL 2024 Sequential Problem

The MSL 2024 at my site is having difficulty pulling the correct tapes in order. We load the tapes in every week, one for each day (7 tapes Wed-Tue). We leave the first tape(Wed) in the drive and the backup will run properly but when the backup is complete and tells the drive to eject the tape, it will not pull the next (Thur) tape, it jumps to Saturday, the 4th tape in sequence, not counting the Mail Slot. It seems to do this consistently.

One thing we've noticed is that, after loading the magazine with our seven tapes for the week, initially the tape will be read as "Full, Gen. 1" Once the tape gets loaded into the drive, it'll change to "Full, Gen. 6" It'll do this with all the tapes once it's loaded into the drive.

Just as a test, what we've done is tried loading each tape into the drive, one by one, so that they all read as Gen 6. Once they are all the same "Status" we'll go back and load the first tape(Wed) and it'll work perfectly fine throughout the rest of the week.

I've made sure that the tape library is setup for "Sequential" which explains why it works as intended but ONLY after all the tapes have the same "Status" of "Full, Gen. 6"

TL;DR

Why does the tape library read the tapes "Status" incorrectly and how do we fix this?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_Hillier
HPE Pro

What library firmware version do you have installed on your MSL2024?

Additionally, just to confirm, are you loading all seven tapes at once, in slots 1-7 in the left magazine?  Then issuing a load to the drive, upon which tape 1 (mailslot) is loaded to the drive?  And the piece of media for Saturday is in slot 4 in the left magazine (furthest in, bottom row)?

I am a HPE Employee
ErrADDict
Visitor

We have firmware version 6.50

We load the tapes in the left magazine but leaving the mail slot open. So it's 1 - 7 after the mail slot. Both bottom rows of the left magazine is full of tapes save for the mail slot.
In this case, the Saturday tape is still considered slot 4 but it's located on the second row, above the mail slot.
Chris_Hillier
HPE Pro

Do you have the MSL2024 configured to use Autoload mode?  Additionally, does your media have barcode labels installed?

Sorry for the questions - trying to narrow down the configuration so we can try and reproduce here in the lab.

I am a HPE Employee
Amarjit_Y
HPE Pro

Make sure the library & Drive are running on the latest firmware.
MSL 2024 latest Firmware version avilable @ 7.10
Make sure all the Media's has valid Barcode .
Set the Library mode to Automatic and check if thsi makes any positive impact .

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee