Re: MSL 2024

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Marko,

Because of your problem statement,

"I had no problem with the 4 of MSLs we have until I upgraded the firmware from 1.80 to 1.91 an then to 2.40"

I assumed that you always used the path of 1.80 to 1.91 (non-functional bridge firmware) to 2.40. I am in the process of testing this upgrade path to see if I am able to duplicate the issues that you have reported. The purpose of the 1.91 bridge firmware was to allow downgrading of firmware to 1.80 or 1.70 versions. This is not a recommended procedure (from HP), but we wished to provide this path. The versions 1.70 and 1.80 did not include the ability to program new versions of the product's robotic firmware. Each bundle of firmware includes the correct version of robotic firmware. The bridge firmware 1.91 contains the robotic download function and loads the robotic firmware required for 1.70 or 1.80 firmware. After loading 1.91 followed by 2.00 or 2.40, each version (>1.91) is able to load the correct robotic firmware. In both LTT support tickets, I see the report "invalid robotic code".

When upgrading firmware, if the 1.91 bridge was not loaded, then the new version 2.00 or 2.40 would have invalid robotic code. If the same version (2.00 or 2.40) was loaded twice the correct robotic firmware would be loaded.

Please reload the 2.40 firmware into your MSL G3 and check if you have restored functionality.

Thanks. TOm
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Here is a bit of additional information:
Checking on the front panel display (OCP) or the Remote Managment Interface (RMI)with your web browser, both the library firmware and the associated robotics firmware are listed. The following are the expected combinations:
1.70/1.30e
1.80/1.30e
1.91/1.30e
2.00/1.60e
2.40/1.66e

If any of your libraries display a different combination than listed above please let me know. For instance, the combination 2.40/1.30e would indicate that firmware was upgraded directly from 1.80 to 2.40. In this case, you need to load 2.40 a second time and then the correct result should be displayed as(2.40/1.66e). Other combinations may indicate a download failure caused by an unknown factor (maybe a bug or power loss or ...).

Regards,
Tom
Marko H.
Valued Contributor

Tkanks for the replays Tom.
I'll check the OCP and let you know, but sadly I don't have the time to do this this week (a lot of other work). I'll do it on Monday.
Thanks again.
Andrew Marten
Advisor

I've seen this issue before.
Just re-flash your firmware to 2.40

Then you won't have that message any more.
Marko H.
Valued Contributor

Sorry for taking me so long... work

Tom,
I checked on my OCP and my ver. is expected: 2.40/1.66e
So this is ok.

Andrew,
I did upgrade fw again for 2 times - nothing.
Then I downgraded to 1.91 and again to 2.40.
Sadly nothing better.

I get different error codes:
B2 00 12
B0 71 32
F1 00 32
83 02 00
83 B0 00
8D 07 00
8D 07 31
F1 00 4D

When I run the Wellness Test I get the message:
Unit offline
Mail slot disabled

At POST of the server the MSL ind the Drive don't get listed unless I change the Drive ID - which is what I do.

I am running one more desperate fw upgrade right now.

-marko
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor
Solution

Hello Marko,

The firmware that you reported 2.40/1.66e is the one you should be using.

Regarding the failures of the Wellness Test, the failures that you report are normal. The Wellness Test requires that the mailslot should be enabled before the test can run. The mailslot can be enabled in the configuration screen of RMI.

I have requested a better description of the errors that you sent today. I will forward these when I have more information.

Regarding your statement,
"At POST of the server the MSL ind the Drive don't get listed unless I change the Drive ID - which is what I do."

This sounds like there may be a conflict with the your application. I do not think that your library is defective. I plan your problems with other team members and reply again later today. Thank you.
Tom

Marko H.
Valued Contributor

Hello Tom,

I can not enable the mailslot - it stays disabled no mater how many times I try.

I don't use any application.
I am just using L&TT (latest ver.)
This has no affect on listing the MSL and the Drive at POST. It should be listed under SCSI devices.

The fact that I have to change the ID to list it on POST and that I can not enable the mailslot gets me thinking that there might be a problem with the controller of the MSL or with the FW of the controller.

Sadly I can not get the 1.80 ver. of the FW to check my thoughts.
So if anyone has 1.80 fw ver. - please attach.

-marko
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Marko,

How are you attempting to disable the mailslot? I would suggest using the RMI (Remote Manager Interface). This connects using an IP address and an browser on your network. You must have admistrator access.
Check the mailslot enabled box and then select the Apply Selections button on the right hand side of the screen.

Tom
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Marko,

I meant to write 'enable the mailslot' instead of 'disable the mailslot'.

I think you may have a configuration issue with your jukeboxes after you upgraded from 1.80 to 2.40. Quotes the release notes follows:
"IMPORTANT: Several configuration settings are reset to defaults if the library is upgrading from library firmware versions 1.70 or 1.80.
├в ┬в Mailslot is set to disabled
├в ┬в Drive 1 SCSI ID is set to 4
├в ┬в Drive 2 SCSI ID is set to 5
├в ┬в Master Drive (Library LUN hosted by) is set to Drive 1
├в ┬в Drive 1 power is set to on
├в ┬в Drive 2 Power is set to on
├в ┬в Library Mode is set to Automatic
├в ┬в Autoload Mode is disabled
├в ┬в Loop Mode is disabled"

You should use either the OCP (front panel) or the RMI to reset your configurations to the correct settings if they have been changed by the firmware upgrade.

This firmware upgrade is very important to the proper operation of the library. You should use it and future firmware upgrades as a means to improve operations of your product. Unfortunately, I didn't understand the most likely cause of your problems until now.

If you are not able to resolve your current set of issues by restoring configurations, then you should contact your local HP support office. I am sorry that you have encountered this much trouble. Future firmware releases will not cause this type or any other types of customer problems.
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

The nature of the issues you are experiencing are typically caused by attempting to use the 1.91 bridge (non-functional) version of firmware. Since you have already upgraded to 2.4 from teh bridge, you should not be experiencing this issue.

I would advise calling support and getting a temporary password for LTT to permit a downgrade of both AL and drive firmware to 1.80... then bridge, then update to latest version of firmware.

Please also note that drive and autoloader firmware ALWAYS need to be upgraded togehter or you will incur issues with library operation.

"When I run the Wellness Test I get the message:
Unit offline
Mail slot disabled"

The mailslot might be causing issue if you have the incorrect magazine in position 1. There is only 1 magazine with a mailslot and if this is placed in any other position then the first position in the library the mailslot will not work and the library will not identify a mailslot being active.