108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL 4048 AND MTX

SOLVED
Go to solution
hturker
Frequent Advisor

MSL 4048 AND MTX

We have recently bought a new HP MSL4048 Autoloader. Its 2 drive x 48 slots tape Library. I've 3 slots reserverd for cleaning tapes and have 2 cleaning tapes in them. and have loaded 10 tapes in slots 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,22,34.

we use mtx

and i wanted to backup 10tb to lto's

i wanted to write a script

can you help me
11 REPLIES 11
TTr
Honored Contributor

What software are you going to use to write the tapes? Changing of tapes, depends how the software reacts when a tape is full.

> i wanted to write a script
What is the OS?
hturker
Frequent Advisor

my operating system is redhat 5 u2 64bit

i have mtx-1.2.18-5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Again, it depends on the backup utility that you are going to use. It may be as simple as a sequence of commands to load a tape, run the backup command, unload the tape, load a second tape, run the backup command, etc. In between you should check the exit status of each command for errors.
hturker
Frequent Advisor

i wonder that
i have 6 tb data
one lto is 800gb
if i load a lto and when it becomes full how can i insert the second ...

and when it finish its job how can i restore 10 gb data from that 6tb

is tehre anybody who can do this
TTr
Honored Contributor

You still did not tell us what software you are going to use to write the tapes. Each software behaves differently when the tape gets full. Some software ask for a new tape, other software fail. It is not going to be easy.
TTr
Honored Contributor

If you were asking what software to use, Amanda is a favorite in Linux and you may not need mtx at all. Take a look at http://www.amanda.org, you need to spend a lot of time familiarizing yourself with the overall backup and restore process.
hturker
Frequent Advisor

cant we backup with mtx
how can i learn if the tape is full or not
what is the capacity of tape
if it becomes full is it says it becomes full and insert the next

TTr
Honored Contributor

From the mtx web site:

"mtx is designed to be a low level driver in a larger scripted backup solution, such as Bacula or Amanda. mtx is not supposed to itself be a high level interface to the SCSI devices that it controls"

mtx does not do backups, it controls tape libraries by loading and unloading tapes etc. You NEED a backup program. You have NOT mentioned anything about a backup program or what you are thinking about using. Without a backup program, mtx is useless.
hturker
Frequent Advisor

can you send me a link how can i use and control amanda from unix

thanks