1745907 Members
4199 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

MSL 4048 & Backup Exec 2010 R3 Issue

jcruz1027
Occasional Visitor

MSL 4048 & Backup Exec 2010 R3 Issue

Greetings!  I hope someone here can help me out.  I inherited this issue when a co-worker suddenly passed away.  We have a MSL 4048 connected via SCSI to a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server running Backup Exec 2010 R3.

Backup Exec detects and sees the tape library but all my backup jobs don't run with a status of "Ready; No Media Servers Are Available".  Backup jobs don't run.  It doesn't matter if they are a disk-to-disk or disk-to-tape job.  I can't even perform an inventory job.  I tried all the troubleshooting steps offered by Symantec to no avail.  The interesting thing is that if I shut everything down, disconnect the MSL 4048 from the server, my disk-to-disk jobs work.  According to Symantec this demonstrates that the is an underlying issue with the MSL 4048.  I do remember before my co-worker suddenly died he had to abruptly power off the MSL 4048 while it was performing an Exchange Store backup and I think this is when the issue started.

Thanks for any help.

Jerry

1 REPLY 1
Eric_de_Lange
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSL 4048 & Backup Exec 2010 R3 Issue

Jerry,

The first thing you want to do is to veryfy that the MSL and it's conenction to the server are intact and functional. You can do this by downloading and installing HP Library and Tape Tools. This tool will check the connection to the MSL as well as offer you tests that verify the MSL's operational status.

If that all works and the MSL is tested ok, the next step will be to focus on the Backup Exec configuration. "No Media servers are available" in my opinion points to the BE media server which is the portion of the BackupExec software that communicates with the actual tape hardware. If this service is not running this could be due to credential issues (was the password changed recently ?) or network mismatches (was the server moved to a different IP adress or network location?)

FYI: HP L&TT can be downloaded here

-Eric