1748057 Members
5548 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSL 4048, only 1 drive activates in Data Protector Express

cgill
Occasional Advisor

MSL 4048, only 1 drive activates in Data Protector Express

I have a windows server 2008 R2 64bit running Data Protector Express, the MSL 4048 tape machine is recognized and usable by the software, however it is just one drive that can be used. In other software (Symantec Backup Exec) I was able to use both drives simultaneously making for much quicker backup operations.

In the tape drives web interface I see that only one drive is selected for LUN and cannot be changed to both drives. I feel this may be the culprit. I recently updated the MSL's firmware before instaling DPE. While in the web interface and DPE I can manipulate the drive (eject tapes) only the web interface can do more such as load tapes and format them. DPE simply does not enjoy working with the second drive.

Any advice is appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSL 4048, only 1 drive activates in Data Protector Express

Hi,

You havenot mentioned which version of DPE you are using. If it is 4.x or below, the 2nd tape drive need an extra license to be usable in DPE and that can be the reason for the issue you are facing. 

also if you suspect any hardware related issues, the Library & tape Tools can be used to test the library and confirm. The L&TT application can be downloaded from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3936307&prodNameId=3454512&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-100575-1

Hope this helps...

Rajanikant 

Regards

Raj

How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!