StoreEver Tape Storage
1752756 Members
4628 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL 5026 Restore jobs are slow

Chris Bush

MSL 5026 Restore jobs are slow

Ever since I've upgraded the firmware on the MSL5026 and the SDLT drive, the restore jobs are taking extremely long. Jobs that once took 10-13 minutes now take almost two hours. The firmware is updated to the latest possible, and no other software/hardware has been installed on the server that the library is attached to.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I can't figure out why this is happening.
8 REPLIES 8
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Gee wiz - this must be the 3rd or 4th message in two days with the same complaint!

Look through this forum for the messages. It seems that there is a problem with some of the new FW rev(s).

It sounds to me like you probably need to downgrade your FW. FW revs are listed in the other postings.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Chris Bush

I upgraded the firmware to v.46 on my SDLT drive and then my restore problems started. My backup jobs haven't had any throughput problems at all.

After reading several posts here, I installed the Library and Tape Tools which told me there was a v.51 firmware update available for the drive as of 1/23/03. So I installed that firmware updatea and my restore jobs were back to normal. However a day later, they were crawling again.

People have mentioned in other posts about "known good firmware" should I move back to v.45? I just can't believe that HP would release 2 separate firmware updates that cause the same problem.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Would not recommend back-reving the tape drive firmware.
1. What operating system are you running?
2. What backup software is being used?
3. What driver is being used for the tape drive?
Aside from the tape drive firmware, there is also a Robotic version. Current is 4.08 - what version is currently running?

Possible solutions:
- for Windows 2000, unless using the native 2000 backup, stop and set to manual the RSM (Removable Storage Manager) service.
- The tape driver should be the driver supplied by the backup software.
- If using Veritas Backup Exec, check the Block & Buffer size. Default is typically 1-8K. Increase this to 64K (for each tape drive in the Library).
Eric Himel

We are having the same issues with our library. The jobs gradually descrease in speed to where its crawling at 45MB/min. The only thing that has temporarily fixed this issue for us was to reboot the server and library. Then the slow down gradually begins again. Any solutions would be appreciated.
Chris Bush

Eric, I'm experiencing the same thing. I am running BackupExec 8.6 on Win 2k server and after I reboot, the restore job is fine. However as time passes, the restores slow down again. We are getting rid of this server this quarter so hopefully with a new box, we won't have this problem.
Jake Richie
Advisor

Hi guys, any adpu160 errors in your systemevent log?

there is a newer firmware for the SDLT V51 let me know if you want it, I send directly
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Chris Bush

Jake, thanks for the response. I have installed v.51 on the SDLT hoping that would solve our problems, however it hasn't.

I don't have any errors either and have updated the firmware on the controllers in the server.
Steven Swanson

Where can I find firmware rev 4.08 for the MSL5026? LTT doesn't know about it's existance.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.