4147 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL 6026

Maekele
Occasional Contributor

MSL 6026

Hi all,

Can I use NTBACKUP TO CONFIGURE MSL 6026?
5 REPLIES 5
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Depends what you mean by 'configure' - but if you mean hardware configuration of SCSI parameters/IP addresses/controller options etc - then no you can't.

Basic configuration should be performed from the library front panel. Other options can be set using the inbuilt web server, by browsing once the IP address has been set. Other utilities are available such as HP L&TT, or the MSLUTIL utility.

Generally speaking, backup applications are restricted to enabling/disabling drives and drive compression, implementing access restrictions, and a few other functions.

Rich
Raymond Todo
Occasional Advisor

Hi evererybody,
I have the save problem. I have one storageworks MSL6026 SDLT 600, but i don't know what do i configure and use it.

Do i need a SCSI card to connect the library to the server and can i use the NTBACUP to perfom backup operations?

Need your help
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Hum, in order to use NT backup you must enable Removable Storage Service.
The problem of using NT Backup is that you won't be able to operate the picker, NT backup deals with standalone tape drives, and thus it will only operate the drives, you will need to load and unload the drives from the front panel of the MSL library.
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Using a combination of Microsoft Removable Storage Manager (RSM), and NTbackup - it should be possible to make use of the library for backup automation.

However, generally speaking it would be better to buy a copy of backup software such as Dataprotector Express, or Symantec BackupExec. These applications provide more fuctionality, and flexibilty. Also, native backup programs such as NTbackup typically, do not give you as much performance as the custom backup software packages.

Bottom line is - you get what you pay for!

Rich
Heshmat
Advisor

You can only use it to back up to a specific media/drive, but the media rotation and movement will have to be done thru the library web interface, wich you can configure in the front of the library, after configuring IP adress you can also set 2 different password levels.
You can back up with NTbackup (removable storage service required) and then move the media trhu the RMI (remote management interface, web GUI).
If you do this remember to keep good track of the media location and also media ID (if barcode enable).