1752576 Members
3870 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL 6030 with Windows 2003 SP2 X64

afointWPI
Frequent Advisor

MSL 6030 with Windows 2003 SP2 X64

I need some help installing Windows Drivers for the MSL 6030 on a 64 bit Windows system. Running the latest x86 hptapedriversinstaller.exe sets up the library and tape drivers correctly on a x86 system, but not for a 64 bit system, it just leaves it as "Unknown Medium Changer". Our tape drives are fiber attached so I have about a dozen servers that see the MSL 6030 within Device Manager. I am aware HP Data Protector doesn't require windows drivers, but I need this for Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2007 to see the drives properly, and I need it to run on 64-bit.
3 REPLIES 3
studerje
Advisor

I too am experiencing this same problem. We use CommVault Simpana Galaxy. I worked with their support and we came to the determination that it was only the library controller driver that would not install. The OS sees the tape drives, but not the library controller in the 6030.
We are also running Windows 2003 SP2 X64.
afointWPI
Frequent Advisor

There are no 64-bit drivers for the MSL 6030 is what you will get as a final answer from HP if you ask nicely. In reality, this device is only branded by HP, and is really made by a company named Overland. From a MS DPM 2007 newsgroup I was able to get the 64-bit Overland drivers. I have zipped and attached them to this message. Hope it helps with your library detection, should be a snap, just point the unknown device to wherever you unzip these files. I'd be curious to know how Commvault works for you, as we might be migrating from HP DP to commvault, but one of the uknowns is how it will work with the MSL 6000 series.
studerje
Advisor

I was finally able to install the driver on the HP site. Turns out the driver is NOT signed. I had to manually install the driver instead of letting the driver install process find the suitable driver from the folder I specify. It warned me that the driver was unsigned. I installed anyway and it's working very well.
We've been using CommVault for about 2 years now. We LOVE it. In the past, I've used HP Data Protector, and Legato. We migrated from Legato to CommVault. CommVault is the most rock solid products that I've ever used for backups. Their technical support is very responsive and quick to resolve problems. We are backing up several os's, Win2k3 x86 x64, Win2k, NT4.0, Solaris, Redhat 7.3, 9, REL5, OSX Server, and a few Windows XP clients. In the coming weeks we are migrating from our current data arching tool Brocade FLM to the CommVault Data Archiver. Bottom line, they just make a great product!
We paid for them to come and do the initial install, which I highly recommend. There are a few CommVaultisms they will teach you, nothing very difficult. I give CommVault 2 tape drive up. :)