108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL 6060 SCSI cabling for three drives?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Harri Muttilainen
Occasional Advisor

MSL 6060 SCSI cabling for three drives?

I have tried to find an example for SCSI cabling of a MSL 6060 with three drives and two network storage routers, but have not found any? HP promised in the manual that they have a "more comprehensive set of SCSI cabling examples" at www.hp.com/support, but I could not find any more than in the manuals.

Would someone be able to provide such an example? I think I'm one SCSI terminator short.
That wasn't me! I didn't say that!
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL 6060 SCSI cabling for three drives?

I don't know how many cables and terminators you have, but:
do you have access to the 'HP StorageWorks MSL5000 and MSL6000 Series Tape Libraries User Guide' - 231910-005? I have downloaded a copy from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316104

Unfortunately it is stored there with a rather obscure filename: 'lpg75254.pdf'.

Page 208, figure 88 shows a 4-drive configuration. I beleive you don't need a terminator in the unused SCSI bus of your second E1200 storage router.
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Harry,

If you've got 2 NSR and each NSR has 2 SCSI channels, use one channel for each drive (3 in total) and the fourth channel to the robot arm. And a terminator on each drive and on the robotic control of course.

mvg,
Kurt
Harri Muttilainen
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Kurt!

That confirms it, I am one terminator short.

Uwe,

I had already tried your suggestion, but could not get it to work. The libary was not able to communicate with the third drive.
That wasn't me! I didn't say that!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hm. I have seen such problems in the past, too, on an MSL6030 with 2 drives and a single E1200. If I recall correctly I had to enable bus resets so that the router did find the peripherials reliably. As it worked I have left it that way and did not find any time to research this further.