1752288 Members
3495 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL Zoning Problem

Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

MSL Zoning Problem

We have an MSL6060 library that when we try and zone up an an HPUX 11.31 server it causes all sorts of issues. The library has 4 drives and 2 FC adapters which are connected to seperate Cisco MDS9216 switches. So each switch can see 2 drives.

When we zone up the server to the tape library zone it throws out errors about a fibre channel card fatal error and the box hangs. The thing is it hangs as soon as we zone up the server to the tape library down just one path.

The attached doecument is an example of the errors we are receiving.

We are wondering if this has anything to do with the HPUX 11.31 multipathing.????

If anyone has any idea of where to look i would be very grateful.
Where is my beer...??
4 REPLIES 4
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

Re: MSL Zoning Problem

These are LVm errors.
Did you create a zone for your server and the fibre channel Array?

bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

are you sure your library zone is correct and not pointing at something else?

Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

Let me clarify.

Once zoning is enabled (or more technically, once a Zone Config other than the default config is enabled), then a device can only communicate with devices that it shares zone(s) with.

If you had no zoning before, and then created a zone with the server and the tape, then the server can *only* talk to the tape.

You would have to either:

1) add other devices, like the array, to that zone

or preferably,

2) create a second zone for the server and the array (one device can belong to more than one zone). Then add this second zone to the new Zone Config. If you have other servers that talk to the array, then create a zone for each server+array and add those zones to the Config.

bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer
Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

Still not sorted but we have HP,EMC & CISCO looking into this.
Where is my beer...??