108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL2024 SCSI connection question

SOLVED
Go to solution
DC5

MSL2024 SCSI connection question

Hello

I am trying to connect a MSL2024 library via an IBM Serveraid 6m SCSI controller. The OS can see the drive but not the library. Can anyone tell me if this controller is compatible with the MSL. The server and library is in a remote location, so I am unable to boot and see if there is an option to enable LUN scanning....
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL2024 SCSI connection question

this controller probably is not compatible because it is a raid controller. raid controllers usualy do not have lun scanning funtions (I do not know exactly for the one you are using) and have a firmware dedicated to disk, attaching tape usualy end up in delay, errors, and cause problem to disks attached to the same controller.
I suggest you to use a dedicate scsi HBA
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you check the specifications for that controller IBM only lists "limited" tape support which typically means basic support for a standalone tape drive.

RAID controllers typically only implement a subset of the SCSI features that are required for hard disk support.

The other specs only list support for 14 drives per channel which means LUN support isn't available so it can't be used with your tape library. You will need a full feature SCSI controller without RAID.
DC5

thankyou both for your updates