3618 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 Stop tapes from moving slots

Chuck Ward
Occasional Advisor

MSL2024 Stop tapes from moving slots

Hi,

I have an msl2024 tape drive and have setup daily backups. In the left magazine I have Slot 1 = Monday tape, Slot 2 = Tuesday's tape, Slot 3 = Wednesdays tape and it continues on in this order for the whole week.

The problem is that every time I take a tape out or put a new tape in, as soon as I close the magazine the tape drive does it's normal scan and ends up moving my tapes. It takes a tape from the left magazine and moves it to the right magazine end slot.

Is their a way to keep my tapes in the slots that I want with out them being moved?

I have the mailslot disabled and the library mode is set to random.

5 REPLIES 5
Jenny Butler
Frequent Advisor

I had the same problem using the mailslot, so when I remove or load a tape, I open the left or right magazine and put the tape directly into the slot where I want it. If you receive a solution to this, I would like to know as well. Thanks!
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

What backup application are you using?

Do you have the mailslot enabled?

Are you inserting tapes into the mailslot or actually removing the full magazine?

This sounds like a backup application is performing an "import" operation where it will take any newly discovered tapes and "import" them which involves moving them into a storage slot the app manages. Most apps only do that for tapes inserted into the mailslot.

If you are only having this problem with tapes loaded into the first slot and the mailslot is enabled then it's very likely the backup app import operation which can usually be overridden by disabling the mailslot but then you have to open the entire magazine to load tapes.
Chuck Ward
Occasional Advisor

I originally had the mailslot disabled, but re-enabled the mailslot back on 3/24.

Backup App = Data Protector 6.0

I had no problems last week. Then today, monday morning I removed the weekly tape in slot 7 and inserted the dailys slots 1,2,3 & 4 (mailslot empty). The tapes in slots 5 & 6 were not touched and they stayed in their slots.
All the tapes stayed in their assigned slot except the Monthly tape in slot 8, it moved to slot 20 (slot 21-23 are already filled). I don't get it.

Once again the mailslot is enabled and not being used.

Any ideas?
Chuck Ward
Occasional Advisor

Today I removed the Monday backup tape by using the mailslot. Once I took the Monday tape out of the mail slot, I closed the mail slot and the tape drive did it's little scan. Once it finished the scan I noticed that the tape drive moved the Saturday tape from slot 6 to slot 20.

I'm going to go ahead and give HP a call and see what they say. I'll let you all know what I find out. In the meantime if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

It sounds like DP is moving the tape into a different slot for some reason. You could post a library support ticket pulled from the web interface or using L&TT and that would show if an application was sending the move request.