New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 Tape Library Firmware inquire

SOLVED
Go to solution
soandy
Frequent Advisor

MSL2024 Tape Library Firmware inquire

Hi All,

My company just brought a new MSL2024 tape library with 2 LTO5 Ultrium 3000 FC Drive and we will implement NetBackup 7. After I serched through internet and got some questions and listed as below, please kindly give me some advise.

I checked with the following link and found out that MSL2024's firmware version 4.9 does not support Ultrium 3000 FC and only version 5.0 support Ultrium 3000 FC.

Does it means I need to upgrade firmware from 4.9 to 5.0?

Moreover, I could find the implemetation step to upgrade firmware version from 4.9 to 5.0 but couldnt find any fallback procedure from the below link, so does anyone performed down-grade firmware successfully?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3936307&swItem=co-38806-36&prodNameId=4271166&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

On the other hand, when I looked at Symantec NetBackup Enterprise Server and Server 7.x Hardware Compatibility list, it stated that they had tested with StorageWorks Ultrium 3000 LTO5 with Firmware version Y23Z and I couldnt find the Firmware version from the above link, so would like to know does anyone know where I can find the Y23Z?

Kindly find the below link for Symantec NetBackup Enterprise Server and Server 7.x Hardware Compatibility list on Pg.142

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/76000/TECH76495/en_US/nbu_7x_hcl.pdf?__gda__=1290511906_ea7b6bd78066b5dbe4d82d135a11f835

Thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

To upgrade your firmware you should use L&TT from HP.
When you install this you could see that firmware 4.9 to 5.0 is for the library and the firmware Y23Z is for the drive.

About downgrade i have no information, but as you stated "I checked with the following link and found out that MSL2024's firmware version 4.9 does not support Ultrium 3000 FC and only version 5.0 support Ultrium 3000 FC", why do you need a downgrade as it is not support with LTO5 drives?

Dany
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

LTT is the default tool to make the updates.

http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools

This tool can also download all the required firmware files from the web.

A downgrade is normally never needed.

But if you want to downgrade for any reason, you need a special password from HP support.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
soandy
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Eemans Dany and Torsten.

The firmware version Y23Z is already included in Tape libaray version 5.0, even it did not mention in the "Ultrium Tape Drive Firmware Table" from the release note page. Correct me if I am wrong.

I want to make myself clear.

soandy
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,

I have one more question, does anyone know or using MSL2024 tape library use both LTO5 drives concurrently?

Thank you in advance.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

This is no problem as long as you don't have them daisy chained on the same SCSI bus (in case of SCSI drives).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

soandy
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Torsten,

In my case, both of them are LTO-5 ULTRIUM 3000 FC, so it should be no problem to use both drive concurrently? The size of the tape labray is 2U.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This should be no problem.

The only bottleneck could be (!) the server HBA, if there is traffic from disks and both tape drives at the same time.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

soandy
Frequent Advisor

It clears all my question about MSL2024. Thank you for all your help.