6331 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 Tape Library

Vianey_2
Advisor

MSL2024 Tape Library

Hi all;

Someone of you know how I can make that a server with Windows2003 can recognize MSL2024 tape library? I installed HP SW Library and Tape Tools(ver 4.1) but when I made a scan, it shows me the library like a HP Ultrium 2 SCSI device not like a library.
The server show me Device Manager section the library like HP Ultrium 2-SCSI SCSI Sequential Device too.

Please see the attached file.

Any idea??

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks a lot!

vianey
26 REPLIES 26
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

No attachement. Please include full ioscan.

Thanks!
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

You should see two devices, HP Ultrium 2 SCSI, and MSL G3 Series Medium Changer.

When the medium changer does not show up it usually means that the HBA does not support LUN mode or does not have LUN scanning enabled in the Bios.

First check to make certain that you are not connected to an array controller. Array controllers almost never support LUN mode devices and have very poor if any support for tape drives.

If you are connected to a standard HBA check the bios settings for the HBA and make certain that LUN scanning is enabled.
Vianey_2
Advisor

Hi all;

Curtis, I have a doubt, If the library is connected by SCSI port how I can define if LUN scanning is enabled, is it on FC card?

My server has a Emulex FC card and it shows me LUN 0 in mapping section, for this reason I think that I need to change the Drive and Robotic LUN's of the library but I can understand how, please let me know your comments.

The file that I thought was attached showed how my server recognize the library, well only the SCSI 2 Ultrium Drive.

Thanks a lot,
vianey
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

The MSL 2024/4048 series libraries are LUN devices as mentioned.

I believe LUN must be enabled on a FC card. Reasones why LUN might not be enabled: card does not support LUN (RAID card), LUN might need to be enabled manually throught he bios of the card.

You should not change the LUN numbers on devices they will automatically default to different numbers (either 0 or 1). There is no need to change these numbers.

If it is not being detected it is 99% of the time not a hardware issue, it is a hardware conflict or software problem.

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

In addition Device Manager will show a tape drive and an entry under 'unknown medium changer'... this is usually because drivers are not installed on the tape library yet.

Check to see if there is an entry under device amanger for 'unknown devices' this is also related to uninstalled drivers.
Vianey_2
Advisor

I tried to enable LUN scanning from BIOS but not options are showed for this.

Please help me showing the attached file, maybe it can give you more details about my issue :(

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Are you connecting a fibre channel MSL 2024? You message says that the host detected an "Ultrium 2-SCSI" tape drive. If the the drive is an Ultrium 2 then the library has to be parallel SCSI. Fibre Channel is only available with the Ultrium-3 drive in the MSL 2024.

For a parallel SCSI library you need to check the bios of your parallel SCSI HBA not the bios of the fibre channel HBA.

With a quick scan of the HBAnyware documentation it looks like that utility is only for SAN connect devices and will not show parallel SCSI devices so it might not show your library or drive.

In the L&TT screen shot neither the library or the drive were found by L&TT. That can mean that RSM (or another application) is running and has grabbed and locked the tape drive or the tape drive is not connected. It sounds like you are using DP so RSM should not be running and the drive should be accessible to L&TT.
Vianey_2
Advisor

Hi all!!

Curtis; as you say we connected the MSL2024 library with a parallel SCSI cable, we had DP running in our server but is was disabled, however L&TT does not detect the library.
The manual tell us that we need a Ultra 160 SCSI LVD/SE HBA in our server, but when we access to the BIOS we can not see anything that tell us the model, how we could find it and how could enable the LUN scanning in the SCSI HBA?

On the other hand, please see the attached file that show in command view that the SCSI ID of the drive is 4 but L&TT show it the value 5 and if I change the SCSI ID of the drive L&TT show me 5 all time; is it correct??

I really appreciate your help.
Please let me know your comments.

Thanks a lot,
vianey/yolanda
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

What's your currnt BIOS firmware version? What's the make and model of you're motherboard?
Same question for the server model.

This appears to be a HW compatibilty issues so lets focus on that for the time being before moving up to the 2003 O/S.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law