1753770 Members
5104 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 Tape Library

Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Tape units are never recommended to be connected to onboard or RAID cards (like smart array)

You are using a DL 380 G@, which is an old server. I would be concerned about througput issues for the LTO drive(s).

You need to install a PCI non-raid HBA card to get LUN working
As per HP Compatibility page you need one of these PCI cards for your library. They will recognize LUN's:
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/Detail/16-0029-0012.html

EXCERPT FROM ABOVE LINK:
The HP ProLiant DL380 G3 (Retired) does not have a suitable embedded SCSI controller.Please use one of the following adapters:

374654-B21 - Single channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2
268351-B21 - Dual channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA (Retired)
284688-B21 - Dual channel Ultra3 SCSI HBA* (Retired)

* Please ensure the adpu160m.sys driver Version 6.1.640.100 or higher (available from www.compaq.com/support) is used in this configuration.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE this is for a G3 not a G2... which means that HP has not tested the compatibility with a LTO 448 drive with a G2 DL380 server and you may not get it to work correctly. My main concern for this is that throughput will be limited and thusly cause shoeshining on your drive and premature wear or both drive and media.

LTO's need high Performance from servers. Please download and run the PAT tool here to assess your system that it can achieve the minimum spec of the LTO drive (24mb/s native)

http://www.hp.com/support/pat
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Duplicate reply deleted
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Duplicate reply deleted
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

On another note... the MSL 2024/4048 have only been out for 6 months and your server is not even listed as retired anymore because it is a G2... the oldest DL380 server HP has listed is a G3.

Is your Library sharing a SCSI ID of another product on the Bus? All tape units should be isolated on the bus.

Does POST see the library and drive connected to the Ultra 160 or Ultra 320?

Make sure you are using an HBA driver not a RAID driver or you will still have LUN detection issues.

Make sure the PCI card is in the correct slot, some slots are 33 mhz and some are 66mhz on Proliant servers.
Your server should be upgraded to the latest support pack for the Proliant... available from
http://www.compaq.com

I still recommend using one of the cards I listed in my previous post for full compatibility with a proliant server.

Detection issues on POST will help us determine where the detection issue lies... there are only so many things that it could be if it is not seen on POST correctly, whereas if it is only not seen correctly when the OS loads then the possibilities for the detection causes are endless.

Yolanda Isabel M├бrquez
Occasional Advisor

hello!!

Can you see the attached file, we are using a DL380 G2, the card is model U320 SCSI LVP/SE, and the PCI card this in the correct slot, the library is not sharing a SCSI ID of another product on the Bus.

Thanks for your help
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

This looks like the correct configuration for the library to work properly.

This looks like the HBA may not be scanning for LUN devices which should be configurable in the Bios for the HBA.

There are some other possibilities if the HBA is scanning for LUNs.

Do you have the web interface connected? That is the best place to view information about the library. If it shows that the status of both the library and the drive is Green/Good then the library should be available on the SCSI bus.

Check the library configuration settings for the operating mode. In the front panel the menu is "LIBRARY BEHAVIOR". Under that the library mode should be set to Automatic for almost everything. If it is set to sequential then the library will not be available on the SCSI bus.
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

I agree that after looking at the support ticket, the Library is not being detected and is a typical problem when the SCSI card bios is not set up to enable LUN scanning.
has this issue been resolved?

Thanks,