1748089 Members
4829 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 Unsupported Drive

Adrian Cantrill

MSL2024 Unsupported Drive

Hi All,
I'm trying to determine if i'm missing something very obvious. WE have a msl2024 loader with a single LTO3 drive inside. Recently when using it with backup exec it began seeing all tapes as bad so we logged a call with our 3rd party (HP accredited) support company to swap out the drive. Fast foward to now, the drive is replaced with one with serial number HU10552HRP with the G66D firmware. The drive is currently showing as unsupported (the loader is using 4.20 / 2.70e firmware). Now im wondering about two things

1) why the drive is showing as unsupported
and
2) i think we used to have a 448 drive, but a google search suggests the G66D firmware is for a 9XX series drive.

Any ideas on either ?
6 REPLIES 6
Adrian Cantrill

so it looks like the firmware on my drive is for the standalone drive and not for part of a MSL2024 loader. WHen i try and upgrade it, it says not a suitable firmware.

Any ideas ?

Hi Adrian,
The firmware you need in your drive is GXXW (latest is G63W) which is of a different variant than what you have. The MSL2024 is reporting the drive as supported becuase the drive does not have the correct variant and personlity of firmware. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the drive firwmare variant outside the factory, so you are most likely looking at a drive replacement to fix the issue.
I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

You can actually change the firmware variant outside the factory, but you will need to get a "maintenance password" to use in LTT to enable this capability. I recently had the same problem with a replacement SDLT II drive in an MSL 6026 and was eventually able to force the "MSL" variant of the firmware onto it.

Hi Mark,
Not trying to start an argument over this issue, but you defintely can't change the firmware variant of an LTO drive. This particualar drive type would need a firmware variant change and a sub-personality change, which we do not perform outside the factory. LTT can be forced to use any firmware, but the drive itself will reject the firmware. The LTT password override option is valid in this case.
I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Sorry, meant to state the LTT override option is not an option in this case. Also, you shouldn't compare SDLT and LTO firmware update behavior as they are completely different.
I work for HPE.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Interesting, I've upgraded both and the process "looks" the same on the outside. I stand corrected.